More RAM vs. x1900

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sdhollman, Apr 15, 2007.

  1. sdhollman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario
    #1
    I see many post about the advantages of getting the 2.66 with more over the 3.0 with less RAM.

    I was wondering say you have to stay on budget and you can only spend an extra $300 on upgrades, is it better to get that in RAM or on the x1900?

    I am using this Mac for Photoshop, Maya, Cinema 4d and After Effects/Motion work. I know thee are all RAM hungry apps, but they are also apps that require big video card needs.

    Also, could I buy any old x1900 off of the shelf and slap that in my Mac in a few months or so?

    Thanks. :)
     
  2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #2
    Apple recommends the X1900 for Motion and anything that is really graphics intensive. How much ram are you going to start out with?

    You should have at least 2 gigs in there.
     
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

    CanadaRAM

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Location:
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    #3
    More RAM than what is the question.

    Photoshop and other intense graphics programs definitely want 2 Gb or more total RAM to perform.

    THe other part of the question is: You can add RAM at any time. You can only choose the graphics card or the CPU speed once (practically - its far too expensive to change them out later). So: Is the $300 budget the limit for all time? If so, get the RAM, no question. Or, could you consider adding more RAM in a few months as you have funds? Then, you have to balance the benefit vs. the cost of waiting.

    Adding an off-the-shelf (PC) X1900 is a no-go.
     
  4. sdhollman thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario
    #4
    More RAM than the crappy stock 1gig. I would be adding 2 more gigs for a total 3 gigs to that or the x1900.
     
  5. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

    Glenn Wolsey

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2005
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #5
    Honestly, if I was in your position I'd wait a few extra weeks so I could afford both upgrades. If you cant do that however, I would much prefer 3GB/Nvidia over the 1GB/ATI option.

    If you can, save a little more and do both upgrades.
     
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

    CanadaRAM

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Location:
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    #6
    Well, You'll want more than 1 Gb RAM for running those programs, so if it is an either-or proposition, then the RAM has to be the first purchase.
     
  7. Lord Flashheart macrumors regular

    Lord Flashheart

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    Location:
    Cardiff by the Sea, CA
    #7
    I would get the ATI video card now. Ram is easy to upgrade and install and you can pick some up later.
     
  8. sdhollman thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario
    #8
    Ok you guys have convinced me, I will stay patient and get both, who knows maybe apple will drop the price or bump the specs in that time...yeah right.:D
     

Share This Page