Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

tsmc-150x117.jpg

Taiwan Economic News reports that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) has indeed begun trial production of Apple's next-generation A6 system-on-a-chip, with the design set to be "publicly unveiled" in the second quarter of 2012 at the earliest. The A6 is expected to power Apple's iOS devices scheduled for release next year.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., Ltd. (TSMC), the world's largest semiconductor foundry by market shares now, has allegedly started trial production of the A6 processor in cooperation with Apple Inc., with the production design to be taped out in the first quarter of next year and scheduled to be publicly unveiled in the second quarter at the earliest, according to industry sources.

Accordingly, TSMC has applied its newest 28-nanometer process and 3D stacking technologies to produce the next-generation processor A6, which is based on the ARM architecture and will undergo TSMC's cutting-edge silicon interposer and bump on trace (BOT) methodologies.
According to the report, TSMC has been capable of and interested in working with Apple on chip production for some time, but has only recently had the production capacity available to open up to a deal.

Today's report essentially repeats a Reuters article from nearly one month ago claiming that TSMC had begun trial production on the new chip as Apple seeks to shift away from Samsung, which has been the manufacturer for Apple's custom ARM-based chip.

Rumors have consistently pointed to a 2012 release for the A6 chip, although the new claim of availability in the "second quarter at the earliest" would appear to force a tight timeline for Apple to push out an iPad based on the new chip in March or April as it has the past two years. Apple has been rumored to be releasing updated or additional iPad models later this year, and while those models would obviously not be running on the A6 chip, they could buy Apple some time to get the A6 up and running in 2012's models.

Article Link: More Reports of TSMC Beginning Trial Production of A6 Chip for 2012 Launch

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
This should put an end to early iPad 3 rumors.

Last edited by a moderator:

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
SoCal
A bit off topic, but I just have to say, that is truly an awful logo. Every time there's an article about TSMC I cringe when I see it.

While not really a creative logo, it is just a silicon wafer with dies scored in it and a few of the dies colored black. It's OK; but not very innovative or even interesting. But I've seen much worse logos.

sterlingindigo

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
East Lansing
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Interposer, lol.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

dlewis23 said:
Quad-core? :cool:

Could be more. If they used the Cortex A15 (Most likely) it could be up to 8 cores over 2 clusters. They could also break the 2 GHz mark with the iPad 3.

But why? iOS doesn't need that kind of horsepower. :confused:

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

But why? iOS doesn't need that kind of horsepower. :confused:

iOS might not need that kind of HP (Yet) for general use but some apps might. It will always help out in things like Safari. Its just the next version of the Arm processor.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
This should put an end to early iPad 3 rumors.

Which could mean:

* there'll be no refresh of the iPad2 later this year as a new iPad2 SKU (2s).

Or it could mean:

* Apple will not release an iPad3 later this year with a vastly more upgraded 4 to follow mid-next year.

Your premise is so vague you're almost certain to be right, even if you're actually wrong.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
Any info, on whether it will be a quad core or not?

Quad-core? :cool:

Could be more. If they used the Cortex A15 (Most likely) it could be up to 8 cores over 2 clusters. They could also break the 2 GHz mark with the iPad 3.

I doubt it. If it were an A15 design, it would likely be first on market, by several months.

It will be a 28nm die shrink of A5 that focuses on power savings to compensate for the LTE chip it is likely to include. Then A7 will be a cortex A15 design.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010

Why would they want to run anything that fast? Apple is mainly interested in battery life with passable performance. The fact that they go shun Flash on the platform illustrates that.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
This rumor: stating the obvious with just a tad-bit of info added.

There was never going to be an A6 iPad3 this year. Speculation and rumors were of an upgraded iPad2 which might or might not take the iPad3 moniker. There is still a good chance of an upgraded iPad2 with enhanced resolution and perhaps more memory. A6 has been reported for months as "coming along in development for release in 2012". Now it's supposedly hitting trial production. As expected.

I'm curious about what kind of processing power the A6 will provide, as well as how the Apple software (or any software) will function with it. If benchmarks of the iPad almost double next year with the A6, it will be an amazing little machine.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Now those ipad 2.5 rumors this fall kinda make sense. Ipads with retina displays and perhaps an hd camera will fill the gap if the ipad 3 was to be delayed because of the A6 coming too late for a March update.

I am torn. Should i update my ipad 1 in the fall now or wait for the ipad 3?

Arrrrggggggghhhh!!! Damn you Apple! Damn you to hellllllllll!!! Lol.

Probably the fall.

Cause if the A6s wont be ready until the second quarter then that meand ipad 3s not coming until next summer? Tooooooo long for me to wait. Me be happy with the rumored HD ipad this fall with an A5 chip. Plenty nuff for meez. Heh heh heh.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States

nutjob said:

Why would they want to run anything that fast? Apple is mainly interested in battery life with passable performance. The fact that they go shun Flash on the platform illustrates that.

^ This.

I feel the same way.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007

Why wouldn't they want anything to run faster? Shunning flash does illustrate that. With anything the ipad 2 shows that Apple is very much so interested in performance. With in a year they go from an A8 to an A9. The next logical step is an A15. It gives them more performance and better battery life.

Also if they do go with a screen thats 2048x1536 they are going to need more performance much more then can be squeezed out of a Cortex A9.

If they want to take more away from the Desktop/Laptop they are going to need more performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.