More robust (GUI) file copy tool?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Aljrob, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Aljrob macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble copying very large groups of files from a firewire disk to my NAS (I'm running Lion) - if I simply drag and drop in finder then the file copy process sometimes (but not always) fails. Annoying as the group of files is 100's of GB and I'd like to just leave it to copy overnight rather than breaking into smaller chunks to transfer.

Can anyone recommend a tool that offers more robust file copying - note, it's file copy NOT drive backup that I need!

I'm prepared to pay for software as I'm ripping all of my DVDs to mkv and storing on a NAS so will need to use the tool several times.

Thanks in advance,

Aljrob

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You might try out Carbon Copy Cloner (free) for this. Is is basically a fancy GUI to access the Unix command rsync and can copy folders like you want.

Here is what the main window looks like. You just select a source folder/drive and a destination and off you go. Very easy.

[​IMG]

One caveat though, in the default config it will replace everything in the destination folder with content from the source folder.