More rumors about A5 chip

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrmjenkins, Jan 17, 2011.

1. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

2. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

If Apple uses Dual Core Cortex-A9 + SGX543MP2 + 1GB RAM + 8MP camera, iPhone 5 will be just an insane hardware.

3. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Most people don't seem to realize that 1 GB of RAM is overkill. 512MB should be sufficient for at least another revision. As far as the camera, Apple has stressed that it's about image sensor quality, not raw MP count.

4. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

And I'll probably be doing the same things I'm doing now.

And why an 8MP camera? That's a downgrade.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I'd be happy seeing 1Ghz single core with the same ram count and a slightly bumped GPU to be honest ... the iPhone 4 is FAR from feeling slow or laggy.

That said, I wonder if iOS 5 will be an overhaul that will pair up better with the new heavy hardware.

7. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Current iPhone 4 camera has 5MP

8. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Rumor has it that Apple is using Sony for the next iPhone camera and it's going to be an 8MP camera. maybe it will be able to shoot in 1080P.

I read that report about the 8MP before the iP4 came out and in that article they said that the iP4 was going to have a 5MP camera so I believe that rumor.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

its not about the megapixels but the sensor size. Personally, I'd rather have less megapixels but a decent sized sensor. a 8mp camera with the same sensor size of a 5mp camera is going to perform worse.

10. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I don't think it's overkill at all if they are shooting for the high resolution since there'll be a ton of stuff on display to keep track of and the GPU will need a lot of memory.

Absolutely right about the importance of sensor size but generally no, a 8mp camera with the same sensor size of a 5mp camera will not perform worse. If you're looking at the image 100% pixel size on screen you'd think it's worse, but if you are looking at the printed image or with a very high resolution screen the 8mp camera will do just as well but with higher resolution.

11. SF-RR7 macrumors member

+1,000,000,000,000
    I'm getting to excited!!!

12. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

Hopefully will be released in June like the last phone !

13. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

See quoted post below.

My point exactly. A higher number of noisy pixels is a downgrade. On a device this thin (vs. a conventional camera) you just can't get the focal length required to put in a sensor that is big enough to adequately handle a high pixel count.