More space on MB screen...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smadder, Nov 15, 2007.

1. smadder macrumors member

I know this may be completely obvious to a lot of people, but I have been putting my dock on the right side of the screen (MB SR). I keep magnification activated so when I roll over the icons I can see what's up. The dock gets really small, but it opens up the bottom of the screen entirely, and you don't have use the "hide dock"option (which is stupid in my opinion because as soon as you drag a screen all the way down, every time you go there, the dock pops up... dumb). It really frees up a good deal of space ad it helps a lot with the photo/video/web dev/publications stuff I work with. Give it a shot. As long as you have magnification on, it's a really good solution to the space issue. For me, that is. It's no solution t having an ext. mon., which is what you need to do a lot of heavy duty stuff. I am setting up the MBs that are going out to all my department heads tomorrow w/ the bar on the side so I don't hear as many complaints about the screen size... I hope :eek:

I have also found Spaces on 10.5 to help a lot with the screen space as well. Try it out. Once you start using it, it becomes completely addictive, and you are able to do a lot more than you thought you could w/ the smaller screen. You can't make it bigger, but you can use some tricks to get the most space and utilize some "screen tricks" to keep a lot of heavy duty stuff open and organized w/ better screen space management.

Anyway, just my opinion. I do hope this helps some folks a bit. :)

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

but what about my reflective dock that apple made such a big deal out of? :confused::confused:

3. smadder thread starter macrumors member

Yeah...

I just didn't care enough about it... It's pretty, but I'd rather have the space. And, for me, Spaces more than makes up for it :)

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Agreed, only difference is having the dock on the LEFT so it doesn't interfere with documents that use the scroll bar(which are always on the right). No issues with having it hidden then either.

5. smadder thread starter macrumors member

Ah!

Thanks man! I'll give it a shot. I didn't even consider it, since my mouse is usually over the scroll bar area, so it's quicker to get to the dock on thee right. Left hand prejudice! Thanks :)

6. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

After a few days, I also put my dock on the left side. I actually enjoyed the look of the 3D dock, but I need the vertical real estate. The low resolution of the widescreen LCD just can't afford anything taking up so much space along the bottom edge.

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

FYI: In Leopard - the "auto hide" dock now has a delay to it. In Tiger, I turned it off after the auto popping up every time I was just near it. (drove me nuts)

I tried in Leopard again (after fudging with removing my 3D dock for 2D) and was pleased to notice it no longer eagerly jumps up at you. So if your mousing around down there, and not staying still, the dock stays hidden.

Just re-activated hidden dock tonight because of this find. ONE thing I've found in Leopard to be of real use to me. ;)

8. Romulus macrumors regular

I have mine on the left, and guess what, it's beautifully reflective... I used some internet resources and Photoshop to change the Dock program, and it's fantastic...

I hated the new side dock design as it takes twice the real estate needed for it... Now I have the floating icons on a shelf, so that I can have windows really close to the edge while still being able to see...

If people are interested, I may try to post the files...

First image shows the dock by itself. Image 2 shows the doc reflectivity, see the programs that are mirrored on the dock... Also, you cansee that the top window can come much closer to the edge for more usable real estate.

Attached Files:

9. theman macrumors 6502a

Hey man, would you mind showing us how you managed to customize the side dock? You are the first person I've seen who's been able to do it. Everyone says it's impossible. Please let us know!!!

10. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

wow...3D dock on the side...also the first one I've seen...
    looks slick.
    would also love a tutorial or short how-to on this.

11. michail macrumors member

yes bro please share the magic with the rest of us.

12. sinistersai4d macrumors member

sinistersai4d

Dock. Bottom. Center. Hidden.

I never had a problem with hidding the dock and I find that when most people start doing it they realize it's not bothersome at all. :apple:

And people who say they don't like the 3d dock are just looking for something to biitch about. ;)

13. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

One odd thing I discovered about the "hidden" dock, is that it isn't hidden at all. It is literally moved down a certain amount off the bottom of the viewable area. When I get notifications (like the little red number on the Mail or iChat icon showing new messages) I can see the top of the red circle. Also when icons bounce, I can see them peek over. It was too distracting. I wish "hidden" meant hidden.

14. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

didn't know that about the hidden dock...
    now that is something annoying...
    fortunately I am one of those who don't hide the dock but for those hiding the dock this must be awful...

15. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I'd like to know how to get the 3D icons on the side as well......