Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rekras

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2001
NJ
Either way I'm horny for MAC stuff....

hell yea chewbaccapitz, eveyone is posting half asses assumptions that dont make sense of what its going to be. I think it's going to blow all that crap away with something "ground breaking", i agree with chewbacca im horny for it too lol.

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
definitely

I totally agree. This is going to be something truly unique. Set-top boxes, PDAs, and MP3 players aren't but maybe some intelligent combination coupled with Apple's market-influencing asthetics will be.

J

Joey Bear

A friend of mine works at apple in software dev, and he said the rumor around campus is a digital AV receiver with an airport base station built in (security is so tight, NO ONE on campus is uttering a word - scary, my company can't even fire someone without the whole firm knowing first!!). The thought is that it will become the new hub of your home entertainment center but also REQUIRE connectivity to your mac via iTunes, iMovie and Quicktime (the 2 former get new versions on Tuesday - this I know for a fact). It will utilize OS 9 also. Not exactly grounbreaking, but pretty cool nonetheless. It obviously comes shelled in sweet translucent plastics like all of our favorite computers.

Traveler

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2001
DC
Mac Required...

While the new device may not absolutely require a Mac it will almost certainly be greatly enhanced by use in conjunction with a Mac. Apple is not out there simply to join the non-computer hardware business. Macintosh computers and software will always be the biggest money makers and the impetus for any non-mac hardware release is almost definitely a ploy to get some of the 95 to want the device so badly that they will be forced to "convert" in the process. A lure, if you will, to reel in a few more core customers. Core being defined as those who buy apple computers. Imagine, all us Mac owners waltzing around with something really kick ass that is off limits to non mac users(to an extent). Not that 3rd party manufacturers couldn't soon replicate it but, as is always the case, Apple's product will be more funtional and more attractive. It's bound to create some cross over traffic. If you make it independant of a mac the only bennefit to apple, besides a small increase in revenue if the product is successful, is a moderate increase in consumer traffic to apple retail stores. While this is nice, why would apple settle for less when they could push it so much further?

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Agreed.
Making a ground breaking product which is equally good on both platforms would not make the mac as the centre of the digital hub thingy. It would be a wasted oppurtunity for better sales.
Assuming that it will be groundbreaking ofcourse.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Okay,

I'd be pumped if *IT* was a digital receiver... but Apple better do it right! Apple has been known for not going far enough at times. If the unit is a receiver it had better to Dolby Digital 5.1 at a MINIMUM DTS would be better still and DDII would be really nice (but I wouldn't expect it). Apple hasn't been known for keeping up with the audio side of things for quite some time. Sure they built the early Macs with kick-a$$ sound systems (for the day) but since then what happened. PeeCee's can all do DVD with Dolby Digital 5.1 (w/sound card) and now DD5.1 is thought of as old technology (with DTS 6.1 and now 7.1)... Mac's can do two channel stereo... (blech)

Somehow Apple let the Audio advances pass them by and I sure hope they fix that. After all how on earth could the Mac be considered a 'digital hub' and not even provide support for "TODAYS" digital sound formats.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.