Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scgf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
Well I'm pleased. For some reason my iMac running Mojave was crashing regularly overnight or when it had been left for a long while. Never when I was using it - and I have sleep turned off. Nearly every morning I jiggled the mouse and saw my login screen with no flashing cursor in the password box and it had obviously frozen. A hard reboot was necessary. I'm pleased to say the PB2 of Catalina has been rock solid for me - no more crashes and everything I use works perfectly - all my apps, Time Machine, the lot. I use Postbox for email and Firefox for the web and Enpass for passwords. I have a server running NextCloud and the desktop client hasn't missed a beat. Bootcamp is great as is Paragon's NTFS for Mac and Garmin Connect. Office 2019 works as it should too. Carbon Copy Cloner needs an update to deal with the new APFS container structure. I'm not looking for problems - I'm happy if what I normally use works.

Reactions: jwm

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
CCC has been fine on mojave, it's already dealing with APFS. and, like every OS before it, catalina is good for some, not-ready for others (for me, PB1 was a nightmare; fwiw, that's never happened for me with any previous mac beta).

glad it's working for you! am looking forward to that moment...

Reactions: Kevbasscat

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Well I'm pleased. For some reason my iMac running Mojave was crashing regularly overnight or when it had been left for a long while. Never when I was using it - and I have sleep turned off. Nearly every morning I jiggled the mouse and saw my login screen with no flashing cursor in the password box and it had obviously frozen. A hard reboot was necessary. I'm pleased to say the PB2 of Catalina has been rock solid for me - no more crashes and everything I use works perfectly - all my apps, Time Machine, the lot. I use Postbox for email and Firefox for the web and Enpass for passwords. I have a server running NextCloud and the desktop client hasn't missed a beat. Bootcamp is great as is Paragon's NTFS for Mac and Garmin Connect. Office 2019 works as it should too. Carbon Copy Cloner needs an update to deal with the new APFS container structure. I'm not looking for problems - I'm happy if what I normally use works.
If you go to downloads on CCC web site you see they mention CCC 5 (beta): Provisional support for macOS 10.15 Catalina. All that is needed is to download this 5.1.10-b1 is to be running Catalina from the current 5.1.9 version. I made sure that the backup volume was APFS besides the Mac Volume. See also the June 6 blog comments.

Reactions: scgf

scgf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
CCC has been fine on mojave, it's already dealing with APFS.
It's not about CCC being able to just deal with APFS, it's about the way Apple has changed the partition structure in Catalina so that the system is in a read-only partition within the APFS container. CCC needs to be updated to deal with the new arrangement.

More info here.

Last edited:

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
CCC has been fine on mojave, it's already dealing with APFS. and, like every OS before it, catalina is good for some, not-ready for others (for me, PB1 was a nightmare; fwiw, that's never happened for me with any previous mac beta).

glad it's working for you! am looking forward to that moment...

I was just going to ask about CCC. I used the trial but now I need to pony up, so I was wondering if they had the APFS file system down yet. Thanks. Anything I should know before buying in? My update to 10.14.6 has caused crashes everywhere, and I need to back up before doing a clean install. I've never had any issue with this 18,3 iMac, it ran 10.14.1 though 10.14.5 perfectly without a crash, so it's not my settings or apps. I did a QTA update and every app crashed. Then a full install and much less crashes, but skylight is one issue. Finder gets lost if you will, lol. Even Activity Monitor crashed. DOH...
Any advice before a clean install would be welcome, as I'm one of those who has never had a single issue with any Mac I'v owned since 1999. The ignorant zealot, is trying not to be so ignorant any longer. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.