More storage for my MBP.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nateo200, Mar 7, 2011.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

So I have about 40GB left on my new MBP from all my media and videos and other obscure files/projects. I was considering getting a 1TB internal or 750 internal but I'm waiting for cheaper SSD's. I was looking at some external drives online (at apple and bestbuy) and I want something with firewire support for sure and I came across this:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LaCie+-...rive/1415254.p?id=1218259981595&skuId=1415254

Any opinions? Other suggestions would be GREAT as well...thanks..

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

$120 seems a bit steep for a 500 Gb drive.

Check this one out.

3. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

4. zer0sum macrumors member

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

LaCie's are great. High quality stuff. What's even better, are NAS's. They're pretty much mini-servers specialized for storage. Therefore, you can have a lot of storage in them, i.e. 6TB, 3 2TB HDD's inside an NAS enclosure. Many NAS's, being servers, also offer remote access.

The only problem is, after you buy the enclosure, most often, you also have to buy the hard drives. Good news is, remote access and you can have as much storage as the enclosure unit can handle.

I have a Seagate GoFlex Home (NOT recommended, though still good) 1TB, and quite frankly it is so convenient that I attached all my former external hard drives to its "External Storage" USB port, so I can link it to the NAS. :D But if you're gonna get any storage, LaCie's always a good choice.

6. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

That one looks perfect actually. Would prefer 640+ but this will do. I don't like big huge clunky externals and bus powered is almost a must IMO. Anyone object or have better suggestions? Newegg has some nice deals as well though glad someone pointed that out to me. Also how fast is firewire compared to USB? I'm going to be doing things like watching videos from the external as well as other tasks that I would do from an internal drive so I just want an idea of the speed. I've done it before over USB 2.0 and it wasn't too bad...

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Watching video over USB 2.0 shouldn't be an issue, but Firewire is definitely faster.

USB connects at the software level (meaning drivers are required for its use), while Firewire is peer-to-peer (connects at the device level; a host computer isn't required), which is what gives Firewire a big speed advantage over USB.

8. zer0sum macrumors member

FW800 is at least 2-3x faster than USB2
    It also uses a lot less CPU

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9787737&postcount=1

Use 7200rpm drives for best results.

If you don't need to travel with your drive then a NAS is a great solution and offers loads more functionality to every device in your house. Or even across the internet.

The BUFFALO LS-WV2.0TL/R1 has pretty decent performance and is hard to beat if you are looking for value. It comes with 2 x 1TB drives and only costs $269
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165270

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

A NAS is not a good solution for streaming video unless the network is wired for 100 Mbits or more. If the network is wireless at all, USB or FW will be a better choice, and cheaper in any event.