More studios available to purchase in HD from iTunes Store!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NightStorm, Nov 10, 2009.

1. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Anyone else notice the big rollout this morning of HD films for purchase from the iTunes Store? I only had a few minutes before leaving for work, but it looks like Disney/Pixar and Paramount are now on board. This is pretty big news for the store, as we've been waiting for a bigger rollout of HD content to buy from the store.

2. yancey47 macrumors regular

I saw this too. Great news. I'm still hoping for a price drop but I may just bite the bullet and pick up both Kill Bills and No Country.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The pretty much all have iTunes Extras too. Too bad it’s the same price as the Blu-ray disc. :(

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

This is a really nice surprise this morning. Now how about an Apple TV update?

5. NightStorm thread starter macrumors 68000

I pretty much only buy Bluray discs now to rip and encode for AppleTV. This will save me a few steps (ripping, encoding, tagging) and will give me access to the extra materials so I'm happy.

One question for anyone else who has purchased something with iTunes Extra content... does it create a seperate entry in the iTunes Library for the extra file, or does it bundle it into one entry (like SD/HD has done)? I'd really hate to go back to having multiple entries for the same movie.

6. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I just noticed this too, but to own them, too expensive! I would rather go out and buy the BluRay version that is much higher quality, has more bonus content, and I can watch it on my much bigger tv and eventually copy it to my computer to watch on any and all of my devices.

I wish they would announce Toy Story 1 and 2 in either HD or BluRay. Toy Story 3 is supposed to be coming out this coming Summer!

7. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

It gives you a little button on the movie when you hover the mouse pointer over it. You can either choose to start the Movie or launch the iTunes Extras.

Attached Files:

8. NightStorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Excellent; just how I hoped they would handle them!

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Yeah. I really wish they would upgrade iTunes “Digital Copy” that’s usually included with Blu-ray discs to HD. That would be sweet spot for me.

However, for most people these new HD movies are adequate. You don’t have to purchase a $80 BD-ROM drive or $70 AnyDVD HD software for your Windows Virtual Machine or PC. You also get subtitles, a surround track, video chapters, etc that are difficult to get for a ripped Blu-ray.

Then again, for the same price as an iTunes HD movie you get a physical Blu-ray disc, a physical DVD and an iPhone “Digital Copy” version.

I’m torn.