More 'switchers' :)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by D4F, May 19, 2008.

1. D4F Guest

D4F

In our dept we use Mac Pros as we do a lot of 3D and Video editing but the rest of the office (about 20 computers) are all Dell.

My boss was never into Macs but he followed our advice and got us the Pros.

Now today he was wandering (apparently bored) around the office so I asked him to sit down and take a look at OS X. At first he was like yeah, yeah sure but after 5 minutes I saw he's getting interested.

To make along story short his final words were... '...Where can we get them?...' I replied apple.com and he's like '...log there and show me some options...'. So I went to the site and showed him the iMacs... After 3 minutes he pulls out his business CC, handles it to me and says '...5 please. We gonna switch to Mac.'

So I just finished ordering 5 24" 2.8 Alu iMacs (RAM from OWC) and will be ordering next 15 by the end of June. :D

Soon I will have a after hours access to a badass render farm for my Cinema 4D projects hahahaha!!!!!

Wooohooooo!!!!

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

That's fantastic, but the rest of the office will hate you - and then love you.

And then maybe hate you again :)

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

Also, this is how Apple is going to get in businesses. A non-IT manager with purchasing power deciding (and informing the IT staff) that there WILL be Macs.

The IT staff whole career and focus has been that Mac is a toy and how to support the Microsoft behemoth. Some will resent and fight, some will be trying Mac for the first time and become genuine believers.

It will be interesting to see how this grassroots effect affects business penetration.

4. akm3 macrumors 68020

Oh, one other thing.

Those other 15 Macs will never be purchased unless you also have a plan for the software. Did this manager know that much of the software you use may need to be repurchased or that alternatives may not exist? I assume the rest of the office is more 'business users', are you planning to invest in Office 08? WinXP the current Office03 or 07? Do you actually have a conversion plan?

It is a bigger deal then just buying some macs.

5. D4F thread starter Guest

D4F

Just office for OS X.
    The rest will be all 20" tho as for usual work stuff is all they need.
    My boss got excited about Bootcamp so even accounting dept that uses a lot of Win software is getting them but they are going to work under Win XP Pro lol.

I caught him in a good mood and had a perfect timing as lately our income grew up significantly so he needed to balance it a bit :D

6. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

You got to try Open Office.... try the version 3 beta... it will knock your isocks off...

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

off topic from the OP...

Is Open office 3 that much better then the previous version? When I tried it, it was an x11 app, took almost as long to load as Office 2008 does, and I didn't see any improvement. Is 3.0 worth another gander?

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats awesome man! i am so jealous :p

if your office has any problems or questions like having compatibility issues or OS X is acting up dont be hesitant to ask here.

if its a more serious problem you can always ring Apple Care for free in the first 90 days. if its a serious hardware problem they will replace it under warranty.

BUT! thats the extreme case and most likely your office will embrace the Macs and productivity will go through the roof.

9. D4F thread starter Guest

D4F

Well I know one thing... IT guy is no longer talking to me haha.
    Poor bastard got upset.:p

We can't stop laughing here:D

10. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

OOo v3 (beta) does not require x11. The first load does take a while but then it is just as speedy as any other app. I use it for basically everything as it opens Office 2007/2008 docx just fine. I wish I had a link for you but I believe you can either google it or search MacRumors. Good luck.

11. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Very cool story.

Kudos to you for showing your boss the true way to greatness...
    Kudos to your boss for having the guts to make a strikingly bold decision...

You must have done one heck of a pitch!!

I'd love for your to keep us updated as to how this goes - looking forward to the day you dump ALL the PC's!!

:)

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It won't unless Apple improves its business support options, AppleCare isn't good enough, and neither is dropping support for the old OS as soon as the new one is released.

13. mslide macrumors 6502a

I certainly don't ever want Macs to become the "business pc". If that day happens, then we'll have to start worrying about anti-virus, spam, etc., just like you have to with windows.

I for one like the fact that macs are "that other PC that not many people use".

14. Anaxarxes macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that is the exact same response I will get from my parents when I give them their new iMac :)