More than 1 million Kindles are being sold every week

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by neiltc13, Dec 15, 2011.

1. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/15/kindle-devices-selling-at-a-rate-of-one-million-a-week-ahead-of/

Sounds like the new Kindles are a huge hit with customers. I got one myself, very impressed so far.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it's pretty reasonable to be bullish about Kindle as a franchise. I'm excited for better availability / content and maybe even some more aggressive book pricing as the market enlarges.

I actually didn't know about the "X-ray" feature -- I wonder if the Fire has it, or just the Touch? Is it more or less the same as the extras that are in the Kindle for iOS app?

3. *LTD*, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

*LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

And the return rates?

Wait until the dust settles before getting excited about non-Apple tablets.

Even the guy who wrote the Kindle Fire companion manual is returning it. Just how many of those "1 million per week" customers got hosed?

---------------------------------------------------

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/pulp-friction-the-debate-over-amazons-fire/

‘Kindle Fire: The Missing Manual’ author to return Kindle Fire, keep his ‘years ahead iPad 2

“It is still early days for the Fire. Many were doubtless sold as Christmas gifts, so the true verdict from the masses won’t come for a few weeks,” David Streitfeld writes for The New York Times. “But in the meantime here is another professional evaluation, from someone who has probably used the Kindle more than anyone who does not work for Amazon. Peter Meyers is a digital book consultant who is writing ‘Breaking the Page: Transforming Books and the Reading Experience’ (free download of the first three chapters here). He broke off from that effort last month to write ‘Kindle Fire: The Missing Manual,’ to be published in January as a print volume and an e-book from O’Reilly Media. Mr. Meyers could be accused of bias; if the Fire is a tremendous failure, the market for his manual would be negligible. But he was not paid by Amazon to write it, and the retailer had no control over its contents. Amazon did not even give him a Fire.”
    Streitfeld reports, “Mr. Meyers’s verdict, in an e-mail to me: ‘Apple would have never shipped a device like the Fire. It’s got way too many rough edges (sluggish touchscreen, magazine apps that don’t really fit the smaller screen, an easy-to-hit power button). And even little things like how the power cord jiggles when plugged in wouldn’t have made it past the demo room in Cupertino.’”

“Once his manual is finished, Mr. Meyers does not see much of a future for his own Kindle Fire,” Streitfeld reports. “‘Mine’s going back in the box as soon as I’m done,’ he wrote. ‘The iPad 2 is years ahead of it and lets me consume and create with no friction.’”

4. akonobi macrumors newbie

If people had read enough about the the Kindle Fire before the bought it, I think there would be a lot fewer returns. The reasons I read about people returning the thing are kind of idiotic considering that there is a wealth of information listing KF's quirks and limitations.

As for the user manual author who is returning his KF, he can probably afford 4 or 5 iPads unlike yours truly. Besides, his is just one person's opinion.

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

We all knew you wouldn't agree. I guess all them millions of Kindle users are anecdotal. :rolleyes: