Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Card holders have deposited more than $10 billion in Apple Card Savings accounts that are provided by Goldman Sachs, Apple announced today.

apple-card-savings-account-16x9.jpg

The Savings accounts first launched in April, so that milestone comes at the four month mark. Apple says that 97 percent of Savings customers have opted into having their Apple Card Daily Cash automatically deposited into the account, which offers a 4.15 APY.
"With each of the financial products we've introduced, we've sought to reinvent the category with our users' financial health in mind. That was our goal with the launch of Apple Card four years ago, and it remained our guiding principle with the launch of Savings," said Jennifer Bailey, Apple's vice president of Apple Pay and Apple Wallet. "With no fees, no minimum deposits, and no minimum balance requirements, Savings provides an easy way for users to save money every day, and we're thrilled to see the excellent reception from customers both new and existing."
In a statement, Goldman Sachs Head of Enterprise Partnerships said that the company is "very pleased" with the Savings account success.

Apple Card continues to be limited to iPhone users in the United States, which means the Apple Savings account is only available in the U.S. Apple's announcement comes amid reports that its relationship with Goldman Sachs is on the rocks. Goldman Sachs is allegedly looking to get out of its partnership with Apple as it aims to exit the consumer banking business.

Apple and Goldman Sachs have worked together on the Apple Card since 2019, but Goldman Sachs wants to abandon the deal because it is not making enough money and it has had trouble dealing with customer service issues. The Savings account in particular soured the relationship between the two companies because early customers saw long wait times when attempting to withdraw money.

Goldman Sachs is said to be aiming to have American Express or another company take over its deal with Apple, but the terms are not favorable because the Apple Card lacks fees, and other companies do not find the deal appealing.

Article Link: More Than $10 Billion Deposited in Apple Card Savings Accounts

Dang! That's a good chunk of savings money. It's time to raise the APY to 5% now.

I get more with a Discover savings account. The account was opened when I opened my Apple Savings Account. Also, Discover tends to keep increasing my APY. This is the 3rd time they have increased it since the account has been opened.

IMG_7552.jpeg

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
I doubt they keep going to grow tge same pace, Capital One and Discover give 4.3% and have no withdrawal problems.
Yeah the withdrawals are way too slow. The first time I figured it was because it was my first withdrawal. But now months later and on not a huge amount amount of money, it took about a week. Capital One, Discover, Chase all are quicker there in my experience.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Take all that money and deposit it into one of the many banks offering a higher interest rate these days, pocket the difference! <PROFIT!> 😃

Bigkool2inSC

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2023
Greenville, SC
I got pretty good system now with the Apple MasterCard.

I use it for everything I can pay online.
Use it as the default apple pay on watch and phone.
This allows at least 2% to go to that savings account.

Then I move most of my pay to that savings account to let it collect interest as long as possible.
I pay the apple card on the last day of the month with the minimum balance for the previous month.

This allow more of the money to stay in savings to collect more interest.

trying to milk it for everything I can.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
When they are making 7-10% its quite profitable.
Exactly.

Look at the NNI and you can see how it is profitable. And it is reasonably sticky as long as the rate is somewhat competitive. And it is auto depositing Apple Card earnings.

Let’s face it, if I have $200 in there, I won’t open a new account and do transfers for an extra 0.1% per year.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I doubt they keep going to grow tge same pace, Capital One and Discover give 4.3% and have no withdrawal problems.

Dang! That's a good chunk of savings money. It's time to raise the APY to 5% now.

I get more with a Discover savings account. The account was opened when I opened my Apple Savings Account. Also, Discover tends to keep increasing my APY. This is the 3rd time they have increased it since the account has been opened.

View attachment 2240645
Discover is 4.35% APY

dis.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.