More than 100GB HD in a PB please

Wender

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
54
4
I want a PowerBook with something like these specs:

http://engadget.com/entry/1234000687035338/

Sorry for the peecee content, but I'm getting sick and tired of having to drag along an external HD for my music collection. Remember the expansion bays? Well I don't necessarily want them back, but for music and video fanatics it is time for a dual 2,5" HD enclosure...
 

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
9,227
444
NY
Wender said:
I want a PowerBook with something like these specs:

http://engadget.com/entry/1234000687035338/

Sorry for the peecee content, but I'm getting sick and tired of having to drag along an external HD for my music collection. Remember the expansion bays? Well I don't necessarily want them back, but for music and video fanatics it is time for a dual 2,5" HD enclosure...
I agree, now with music, home movies etc, the hard drives need to be increased. the laptop itself looks nice, now if only we can change the OS!!
 

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
1,128
0
Peoria/Chicago, IL
puckhead193 said:
I agree, now with music, home movies etc, the hard drives need to be increased. the laptop itself looks nice, now if only we can change the OS!!
I have to agree, that is one hell of a laptop. I wonder about the price though..
 

Wender

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
54
4
Love the OS, love the PB, but I have more than 150GB of music, which is mostly my own CDs ripped. Not bragging, it will get more and more common. Many people have large music collections. Then add some videos... You need that extra space. It's the slowest increasing factor in the computer world!
 

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
212
0
It's a laptop ... do you really need over 100GB with you at all times? There are iPods and external HDDs.
 

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
1,759
2
they are expensive, but you could get a portable HD that fits in your laptop bag. It may be a litter safer too so you don't have all of your media on one drive.
 

Wender

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
54
4
Tamer Brad said:
It's a laptop ... do you really need over 100GB with you at all times? There are iPods and external HDDs.
I have never been on a trip without wanting to listen to something I didn't bring :) That's it really. I hate having to split up my music and having to guess what I should bring along. I know this may not be very common, but that's me. A media working friend always have to drag along an external 200GB HD for movie projects. That's probably more common. The need is there, and many people have a PB as their only machine.
 

Wender

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
54
4
njmac said:
they are expensive, but you could get a portable HD that fits in your laptop bag. It may be a litter safer too so you don't have all of your media on one drive.
Portable drives are no bigger than 100GB too, and you can't split an iTunes library in two halves without having two iTunes copies running on two different users or some other trick. I have a complete backup of all by media - of course - don't want to have the ultimate crash of my music :)

The best "solution" so far is the LaCie Porche (P3) 250GB FireWire which is incredibly small for an 3,5-inch enclosure, but of course it needs external power. Very nice and reasonably priced hard drive!
 

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
2,087
3
Chicago, IL
They only achieve that capacity by having multiple hard drives in it. So it either has to be split up or raided, which decreases reliability. Also, think of the bulk and battery drain it adds to have two hard drives in there. I would rather have a more portable system.
 

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
2,976
2
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...and I would venture a guess that carrying a Powerbook and an external drive is still probably less bulk and weight than that thing...oh yeah!
 

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
9,227
444
NY
Tamer Brad said:
It's a laptop ... do you really need over 100GB with you at all times? There are iPods and external HDDs.
I need the space because this is my only useable computer and i want my stuff to be with me all the times.
 

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
1,093
0
Sydney Australia
Nah - too big for me

I'm not so sure about this one. Fair enough - it is a great laptop but have you seen the size and weight of that thing? I had a good look at these Qosmio's. They are absolute monsters - something I wouldn't be happy to be lugging around on the train. You will be having shoulder reconstructive surgery within 6 months! :p

Whenever you add features to a laptop, the features have to be crammed in there somehow, therefore increasing the size and usability of the machine being truly portable.

aussie_geek