More than 2GB in a MDD?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WGoins88, Feb 23, 2011.

1. WGoins88 macrumors regular

I figured I would ask this.... can't hurt!

But I have 2GB in my MDD G4, and it's installed as 2 x 1GB Corsair modules. I was wondering, since the MDD has 4 slots, is it possible to max it out to 4GB?

I am only asking this because I believe back in 2002-2003, 1GB modules weren't available at the time, but now that they are, will it work?

Or how about an odd number like 2 x 256 to make 2.5GB or 2 x 512 to make 3GB?

Just wondering... if it doesn't work, no big deal, 2GB is enough... I was curious mainly because I have tons of memory laying around, most of it Mac memory.

EDIT - I'm idiot... I should have Googled this... just found everywhere that it won't support larger than 2GB at all. DUH.

2. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Hello,

I once saw a G4 MDD on Ebay that claimed to have 3GB Ram installed. I asked the seller, whether this is a typo or it is true. He answered me, he wasn't at home at the moment, but he thinks so. He said he would have to ask his colleague... I never found out, if it was right or not, but I guess, if someone had managed to get 3GB running, everymac.com or lowendmac.com would have mentioned this, since they mention every other RAM number that differs from apple's own statements.

3. zen.state, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

The MDD uses an xserve G4 logic board which is limited to 2GB. Some like the eMac or past MacBooks can hold more than Apple states but not the MDD/Xserve. It's a pure logic board limitation you cannot get around.

I should add that it's not a slot limit of 512MB limit per memory slot but rather a board limit no matter the stick size.

4. stroked Suspended

stroked

5. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I meant it the opposite of how I explained it. My mistake.

What I meant to say is that it is a board limit.. not a slot limit.