more than one computer- how do you use them?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chenxi, Apr 6, 2009.

1. chenxi macrumors newbie

First post on these forums but have been hanging around for a while.

I am curious, i've noticed in the photo forum that many people have more than one computer. For those who do not need multiple machines for their work (ie. i can understand for those doing intensive design or programming work) and mostly use their computers for fun, email and basic wordprocessing/spreadsheeting....what do you use your multiple computers for?

I'm asking because I purchased my first mac in Jan this year (alum macbook) but still have my old LG laptop that works for most basic stuff (since I upgraded the ram anyway...it used to be torture to use) but don't use it anymore since I got the macbook. Its a bit banged up to sell really and is 4+ years old...but runs ok for web browsing and basic stuff (2gb ram, XP, ....only 40Gb memory though). At the moment the only times I use it is for windows only applications like access because I haven't bothered to put windows on my mac.

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

hmm I use my PC for doing most stuff. Because I have a nice big desk I can spread out all my books etc for writing essays. A full keyboard and mouse and monitor also help. Also for gaming... so much gaming.

My laptop is pretty much for web surfing only. I take it with me if I need to do work at the library or archives but other than that it's a couch machine :p

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Each PC is for a specific purpose. Let's me get more done that way. :)

4. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I use my UMB and my wife uses the blackbook. She has her own little home business so that's what hers mainly gets used for. Mine's mostly school & recreation.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I/we (husband and I) have a workhorse computer, the 2.8 Octo core Mac Pro, and the others are mostly recreational. A g4 powerbook for internet browsing and the quick occasional photoshop job. There's an iMac for movies/shows which just sits in the bedroom. Husband also has a work-provided laptop (dell) and we have another PC which exists headless under a table merely to torrent stuff. This is a pretty geeky residence.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I use both my machines for the same thing, but sometimes I like to do 2 things at a time or have one in XP, the other in OSX.
    Pour example I'll have Logic and my keyboard hooked up to my MacBook with the iMac on XP using the dev tools I'm used to.

But mostly the MacBook is used for writing documents because I can take a break from the studio room and type up the design doc whilst in the back garden :).

I'm planning on turning the iMac into a room server computer. Stick all my iTunes, iPhoto stuff on it. Probably end up being a download system too. A slave I tell you!

7. the vj macrumors 6502a

I have 5 computers, 4 macs and one PC.

I use mainly the desktop mac for 3D animation and a 17" for clients stuff and for show room. Is basically the computer I use to the clients and to show them the things I have been doing with the big one.

I have another desktop mac but is G5, too slow for 3D but I place it in the other room for audio editing as a hobbie and in case I need more horse power. I mean, I have the big mac pro computer but I rather leave it alone while rendering and use the 17" to check emails in those moments.

I have an small 12" powerbook for my personal stuff, usually the one I take when I go to bed and read and download pictures and stuff like that. Is a good computer but I needed powerful ones and this one was put on a side.

And I have a PC that I use for an special kind of equipment I have that need a PC to run.

That is why you have different computers, most of them are old but still working just fine.

Today I would say that with a good mac book pro and a external monitor, keyboard, mouse and hard drive you are all set. Or having a good iMac and a small portable.

8. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I used to have a decent pc that I used for gaming and music (it had a good 5.1 card for my speakers) and used the mbp for web junk, word processing and some 3d stuff. I gave that to my mom because her computer was slower than molasse in dec. And I think its mb shorted. Now it's just my mac w/ a side of bootcamp

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Work PC (Dell laptop) is strictly for when I'm at work or traveling for work.

iMac is my main computer at home, and sits in my office upstairs.

MacBook stays downstairs and is there to look up something quickly, or to surf while watching TV, or for goofing off when I don't feel like going upstairs.

10. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

The way it should be :)

I have my windows rig for gaming / testing things like linux distros / Freebsd. Now i mainly use Vmware for that. I have a headless 600Mhz rig which is my firewall box

My mac is used for Everyday browsing / itunes / imovie and it comes to work with me too.