More than one song?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Girlie-Mac, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Girlie-Mac macrumors newbie

When creating a DVD using iDVD, is it possible to add more than one song? My slideshows tend to go longer than one song and I like to use two or three rather than looping one song over and over.

Any help?
    :apple:

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I generate my slideshows through iPhoto or sometimes iMovie, but try adding a playlist to your iDVD slideshow. I think that works in iPhoto, so it might work in iDVD as well.

3. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Or, as a workaround, you could create one longer song from two short ones (using GarageBand or other audio software) and then create a slideshow using that new, longer file.

- Martin

4. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I join songs together using Join Together. Highlight the songs you want to join in your iTunes window. Start up JT. Press the button. It joins the songs and posts the new one back to iTunes. Easy as pie.

5. Girlie-Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

OOooh!! Thank you! Thank you! I was so worried there would be no way around the one-song slide show.
    :D

6. harddriveowner macrumors member

I don't know how you are doing it, but dragging photos down to the time line can go one for a long time and I can use many songs without having to join them. I put the music where I want it to be.

7. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

...but from all I've read, there's a quality drop when iMovie renders the stills.

8. jkpgator macrumors newbie

what do you do if a song is copyright protected? I can't tell which song is protected. It just says a song is protected?

9. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Here are some things I've learnt since my last post:

With less than 99 photos you can make a slideshow with iDVD (just drag an album and song or playlist - which can contain more than one song - from the Media panel)

iDVD treats each photo in a slideshow as a chapter and therefore gives problems when you use more than 99 photos. If you want more than 99 photos in your slideshow use iPhoto. You can join songs in Garageband or Join Together, reimport them to iTunes and use that one, extended song as your soundtrack in iPhoto.

However...protected songs gave me a problem. Here's the workaround I used when I wanted to join songs, one of which was protected:

1) Make sure iTune Prefs (Advanced > Importing) are set to 'On CD Insert: Show CD'
    2) Make a new playlist of the tracks you want to join.
    3) Burn the playlist to a CD (or CD-RW).
    4) Eject then insert the burned CD and iTunes will open.
    5) Within iTunes, select the tracks on the CD that you want to join and then from the top menu select Advanced > Join CD Tracks.
    6) Then select Advanced > Convert Selection to AAC.
    7) Put the new combined track (you can get it from Recently Added) into a new playlist.
    8) In iPhoto, select this playlist for your slideshow.

Hope that helps.

10. harddriveowner macrumors member

Doing this on iMovie HD is still the simplest way becaus there is no limit to teh number of songs and you can edit them and shorten them etc and there si no issue with copy protected songs. Try it: it will be so quick you will ask why you wasted time using iPhoto.