More thumbs up for Apple Pencil

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rogifan, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Interesting AMA with Fraser Speirs on Twitter who got a chance to use iPad Pro at London event. Mostly positive comments, especially about the Pencil. Apple really needs to bring it to iPad Air. If it's as good as people are saying I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

https://twitter.com/fraserspeirs/with_replies

Regarding lag...

2. DavesIknow macrumors member

DavesIknow

palm rejection will make or break the pencil - but all reports so far are sounding good

3. ara-mia macrumors member

ara-mia

The question that someone posed about hover recognition is interesting to me, as it's something I admittedly hadn't thought of (and I use a Cintiq for work, so I really should have considered it).

https://twitter.com/fraserspeirs/status/657656392053035008

I suspect that even if this is a feature that's present, there isn't any software yet available that would give indication either way. I'd really like to know for sure if this is a hardware limitation, as it might be a deal-breaker for some users.

4. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

The user asking that question though only gives two reasons for needing it, adjusting brush size and setting clone sources. Sure hovering is useful/vital when using Wacom & Photoshop etc. but that's a design choice by Adobe. If hover wasn't available they'd have to design a different way to set brush sizes or clone sources. Basically, this is kind of a legacy thing, but no iOS software ever had hover detection, so there's no software to need/utilise it.

5. ara-mia macrumors member

ara-mia

That's a fair point--and perhaps they're banking on simultaneous touch and Pencil recognition to offer solutions to these issues! I definitely feel like widespread acceptance of the iPad Pro as a creative tool is going to come down to what developers bring to the platform. I have faith :D

6. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

I transitioned from Cintiqs to Procreate a while ago (trying a few iPad styluses), and I have to say I never missed hover detection. The accuracy is close enough, and Procreate's brush size adjustment thing gives you a lovely live preview of the precise footprint of the brush when you adjust it. I'm not worried about that at all.