More TV Shows on the Way? FrontRow iMac Only.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacCentral posts some notes about yesterday's announcements including analyst comments as well as comments from Apple executives.

With regard to there only being 5 TV Shows presently available on iTunes, Apple's Greg Joswiak explains that they only told the one network (ABC).

“You see that we have the top two shows on TV, as well as the top shows on the Disney Channel. We couldn't really start off with a better foot forward. This is just the beginning."
Meanwhile, Apple's David Moody, confirms that "at this time [FrontRow is] only on the iMac as part of the integrated hardware software solution".

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Interesting. Also, the headline is a bit misleading. At first it sounded like the new TV shows would only be available on the new iMac.

The fact that frontrow is iMac only is rather disturbing, since the Mac mini is probably a better home multimedia device.

Maestro64

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2005
Philadelphia
Well that really sucks you have to buy a new imac G5 to use frontrow. This is so non-apple like.

But this just be the way tests the waters on video on deman and the settop box area. It would be great to store all you content on the computer and then stream to any media center in you home, or you could just watch tv on your computer....

bketchum

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Grand Portage, Minnesota
Macrumors said:
Meanwhile, Apple's David Moody, confirms that "at this time [FrontRow is] only on the iMac as part of the integrated hardware software solution".

I could see FrontRow eventually being in iLife O6 to help sell the latest version of that suite.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Macrumors said:

MacCentral posts some notes about yesterday's announcements including analyst comments as well as comments from Apple executives.

With regard to there only being 5 TV Shows presently available on iTunes, Apple's Greg Joswiak explains that they only told the one network (ABC).

It's only a matter of time until FrontRow finds itself on the next generation of Macs. I dont necessarily see it coming ever on Powerbooks or other portables, but desktops or future boxes will definitely have it.

I also noticed that they did not say anything about additional shows in the announcement yesterday. Hopefully some good deals are going on as we speak. Curb Your Enthusiasm, other HBO, TLC. It could be the goods. We'll see exactly where this plan is going in the spring time, which is exactly why I won't buy until then.

dloomer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
This is picky, but it's spelled "Front Row," not "FrontRow." The latter would be so 1998 :D

bketchum

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Grand Portage, Minnesota
Macrumors said:

For now, including FrontRow just in iMacs is an interesting strategy to perhaps sell more of these machines.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
can't see it being long before someone pulls that front row out of the iMac and pops it online -

why o why is it just for the iMac ??

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Maestro64 said:
Well that really sucks you have to buy a new imac G5 to use frontrow. This is so non-apple like
I think people are not seeing the point of the FrontRow app. It really does not add any functionality to the computer. It is only a means for control while away from the computer. Why would you need a full screen control on your PowerBook to play a slideshow in iPhoto, a song in iTunes, or a DVD in DVD player. As much as we all want the newest and coolest things, I'm pretty sure Apple knows what they are doing.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Superdrive said:
I think people are not seeing the point of the FrontRow app. It really does not add any functionality to the computer. It is only a means for control while away from the computer. Why would you need a full screen control on your PowerBook to play a slideshow in iPhoto, a song in iTunes, or a DVD in DVD player. As much as we all want the newest and coolest things, I'm pretty sure Apple knows what they are doing.
easy this one

Powerbook - dvi - 42" Plasma running Front Row !
Mac Mini - to Plasma running Front Row

how hard can it be ?

aviationwiz

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
It sucks that Front Row is only for the new iMac, but I was sort of expecting it, judging by the event which I watched last night. Don't worry, someone will make a program like Front Row soon enough.

MacFan782040

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2003
Scranton, PA
The fact that frontrow is iMac only is rather disturbing, since the Mac mini is probably a better home multimedia device.
Yeah, I definitly agree. Why and where would you put a $1299 computer with a 17" screen in your living room just to watch pictures and stuff? It definitly would have made a ton more sense to put it on the Mac Mini, where you could hook it up to your (larger than 17/20" screen) TV.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Frontrow is more of an "impress your friends" thing, and not really something people will buy specifically for their living room.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
I don't know...

...what about other countries? Will we get TV content here in Japan? Is Apple negotiating with networks in other TV markets? You won't be able to access TV content from outside your country (as is the case with music) as many shows rely on overseas syndication as a source of produvtion revenue/cost spreading. This really limits the effectiveness of teh video function.

BTW can any Qt file in the appropriate compression and size be played on the new iPod? Yuo could reformat stuff you record or download. couldn't you?

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
aviationwiz said:
It sucks that Front Row is only for the new iMac, but I was sort of expecting it, judging by the event which I watched last night. Don't worry, someone will make a program like Front Row soon enough.
That company is Apple. And it will be called Front Row.

I can't imagine that it won't be made available for other Macs in some way or another. The mini is an obvious candidate, but presumably it could be bundled with other machines as well.

Why would Apple make software for only one type of machine? I can understand for a brief period as a marketing tool. But ultimately they'll have to make it available for all machines for it to make sense. That, and an IR receiver to retrofit.

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
aviationwiz said:
Saying it is only for the iMac likely means it will not work with older hardware (until someone finds a workaround), but it will likely be available on all future computers to come out of Apple.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Has anyone tried to get mythtv working on a mac yet.. www.mythtv.org
the screenshots are pretty nice... I have a tv and I also have a mac mini that I replaced with a 17inch powerbook... I am so tempted to use the mini in my stereo setup...

My wife would appreciate the super easy way frontrow allows playing music or doing slideshows... An automated job to sync the pictures on the mini and the G5 (my other machine) and we would be good to go... Same with music.

enygma

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2004
<insert obligatory "where's the powermac/powerbook updates" here>

As for front row, update the Mac Mini with Front Row, make it a little bigger so you can fit a 3 1/2" drive in it, load it with 250GB, include a remote, superdrive and all the wireless goodies and add optical audio outputs.

Hook that bastard up to your 720p/1080i capable HDTV and 5.1+ channel receiver and now you have the ultimate HTPC (Or HTMac, however you look at it). If these specs are met, I would be inclined to buy one as soon as humanly possible.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
bketchum said:
I could see FrontRow eventually being in iLife O6 to help sell the latest version of that suite.
I certainly hope that Front Row will become available to all users. Hopefully it will work on older iMacs and other Mac's also.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Apple, how about getting the shows onto other iTMS locations - the usa isn't the only country in the world.

There have been no statements yet from Apple saying they are working other countries networks in order to get content onto iTMS.

Hello BBC!??

feffer37

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2004
East Lansing, MI
Video's Suck on PC's?

I've got reports from my brother who purchased 2 music videos through iTunes 6 onto his high-grade video-oriented pc, and got horrible results. Apparantly the video was jerky at the normal 320x240 ipod size resolution though the picture quality was good, but when he tried to enlarge them, they were horribly pixelated & VERY jerky when playing on Quicktime Pro 7 (with all updates downloaded).

Has any other PC user tired to buy and view video content on their PC? I'm a Mac Only guy, so I can't try to verify or solve the problem for him.

But overall, this is going to be so huge. I can see it now: Subway Commuters watching Sportcenter Video Updates downloaded every morning on their iPod via their paid subscription. My god, the possiblities are endlesss. I can't wait for Cartoon Network to get on Board and make the Adult Swim cartoons avaliable for the iPod.

I will upgrade to the new iPod, no question. New iMac....Super Cool, but since my girlfriend's rule is that if I buy another computer I have to get rid of one, I think I'll be waiting and buying the Apple tablet running the Intel super cool chips ;D

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
liketom said:
why o why is it just for the iMac ??
Because if you have a laptop you don't need it. Apple wants the mac mini to be as "cheap" or affordable as it can be. And if you use a PM, more then likely you have it because you need the processing power for advance programs like final cut and photoshop. Your not going to view movies on your PM. It will prob. happen but the imac is the "family computer"

execproducer

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2005
The ABC thing is simple, disney owns ABC, and Iger wants some of that Pixar "flow" (that Eisner put in jeopardy) back/to be cont.

Front Row is now subject to the laws of business evolution, if it floats, it foats across the board, if it sinks it only sinks in 1 imac rev., no biggie.

Apple is really on the move, it's very exciting.

Just bought a nano... damn...

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
enygma said:
<insert obligatory "where's the powermac/powerbook updates" here>

As for front row, update the Mac Mini with Front Row, make it a little bigger so you can fit a 3 1/2" drive in it, load it with 250GB, include a remote, superdrive and all the wireless goodies and add optical audio outputs.

Hook that bastard up to your 720p/1080i capable HDTV and 5.1+ channel receiver and now you have the ultimate HTPC (Or HTMac, however you look at it). If these specs are met, I would be inclined to buy one as soon as humanly possible.
Not to be a downer, but do you really think that a Mini can, with the elegance and speed, drive Front Row like the iMac G5 did yesterday? I mean this machine can't even do the droplet effect on dashboard, what makes you think it can do a reasonable job doing more than that?