more upgrades or mac mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zen.state, May 15, 2005.

  1. zen.state macrumors 68020


    Mar 13, 2005
    hi all,

    I have a b&w G3 thats been heavily upgraded. it currently has a G4 500 cpu, 1gb ram, 120gb 72k 8mb hd, 32 mb radeon 7000 and a pioneer 8x superdrive.

    I am wondering if I should maybe upgrade the cpu again (to either a G4 600 which many get to run at 650 stable or a G3 1.1 ghz zif) or buy a mac mini.

    the upside to a mac mini is I would then have 2 systems and run them off kvm. the downside is that a 1.25ghz mini with a good kvm is going to cost over twice what a new cpu would. a bit of a hard choice for me. I am really leaning toward the mini but want to be sure its worth it on my tight budget. if I choose the mini I could have it by mid june.

  2. 36183 Guest

    Jun 24, 2004
    the mini can be overclocked to 1.6 ghz if your willing to change the heat sync. i suggest the min over another upgrade, because your reaching the limit on upgrade you can do on your g3 powermac.
  3. brandon6684 Guest

    Dec 30, 2002
    I would just go with the mini. While not much fast the FSB on the mini 167MHz as opposed to the 100MHz of the B&W, no to mention the CPU is slightly faster, the mini has USB 2.0 and the mini has faster memory. Also, like you said you'd have two separate systems.
  4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

    Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    Go for the mini. I would sell your current machine and get the mini with the money you make.
  5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000


    Mar 6, 2005
    Maybe you should get rid of your B&W and replace it with a Mirror door powermac G4 these are expandable and can be picked up on ebay for good prices. Anyhow if you want a mac mini i would wait until the Rev B is released before purchasing as i can imagine some nice updates for the MINI.

  6. macbaseball macrumors 6502a


    Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    I agree. the mirror door Pwoer Macs are at an awesome price right now. You can even get a dual, which will out preform the Mini even if it is at a slightly higher speed.
  7. zen.state thread starter macrumors 68020


    Mar 13, 2005
    think what I will do is get the mini next month. within a month after buying it I plan on buying a 1gb ram stick and 72k hd. with those upgrades it will run nice and smooth. going to do both upgrades at the same time so that I only have to open it once.

    going to keep my current mac because with all the money I have put into it and how cheap a new mini is there would be no way I could ask even the value of a mini. better to keep it to help take some load off the mini. since my current mac has 1gb I can have it do several tasks and leave the mini be for any task at hand. so in turn my old mac will make the mini faster in a way.

    main reason I decided on the mini is that the 1.25ghz cpu is 2.5x faster than my current cpu and the bus is almost twice the speed. I do a lot of encoding in both audio and video so a cpu 2.5x faster will be VERY welcome.

    can't wait to get it! thanks for all the advice you guys. :)

Share This Page