More upset about contracts than 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BuckDot, Oct 4, 2011.

1. BuckDot macrumors member

I think a lot of the anger is kind of misdirected...

I have an iPhone 4 (Verizon) that I snuck my way into a 1 year contract (traded in my recently purchased Droid X which was on a 1 year contract under the worry free guarantee... think I pulled a fast one)

Anyways, the 4S looks like a great device. Not a redesign obviously, but it has nice specs and features. If there was a 1 year contract available, I'd probably get it, but there's not. The only choice is a 2 year agreement for a non-LTE phone... that's 2 years with obsolete technology.

I really think we're being ripped off with this 2 year contract requirement for a subsidized phone :mad:

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

You could just buy it outright. I don't really sympathize with you. It is a $600 phone Verizon needs to recoup their investment in you somehow.

3. BuckDot thread starter macrumors member

You mean they don't do that with the $80 I spend with them every month? I'm not looking for sympathy by the way... verizon's reason for taking away the 1 year contract was because "people didn't use them" (doesn't matter if 1 yr pricing was in tiny print below the 2 yr super deal)

4. rosemary1 macrumors regular

Just because a phone isn't the latest model doesn't make it obsolete. I've hung onto my 3GS for 2+ years and Apple still likes it enough to keep selling it.

If you got a Verizon iPhone, you would have known full well that a new iPhone was going to be announced before your contract period was up - the only person you can really cry to about that is yourself.

This is why I buy devices on launch day. I get full use out of them and there's no problem when it's time to upgrade.

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

It's going to take them about 8 months to recoup that. That's a bit long since they don't know if you will cancel or do something else.

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Not really the cost per month, but they recoup the costs with guarantee that you will be paying that cost for 2 years.

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

It would take 8 months of straight payments to recoup that. And that does not include the money that Verizon needs to invest in its infrastructure.

8. BuckDot thread starter macrumors member

The phone isn't obsolete, but the current standard for new premium smart phones is currently LTE (or wimax if you're with Sprint). For a new premium smartphone, 3G is obsolete technology right now, even more so 2 years from now.

And I'm eligible for an upgrade this week TYVM... please read OP

----------

And in my original post I said what sucks is the lack of a 12 month commitment... I never said I should be able to buy an unlocked phone for the 2 year price without a commitment.

9. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

You're not being ripped off. No one has robbed you. It's your choice to go with whatever phone/carrier you choose.

What else could it be.

10. rosemary1 macrumors regular

The 3G standard is far from obsolete, especially since you pretty much have to live in a big city to have any chance at access to 4G. If that's what you're after, why would you even bother with the 4S? Stick with your current phone until the next iPhone comes out, or go Android. This situation now has nothing to do with contracts.

11. BuckDot thread starter macrumors member

for a $700 new model phone, yes, 3G is obsolete.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's up to you.
    If you don't want to then don't get it under contract.
    Crying about it won't get you much either.

13. james92se macrumors 6502a

How would you buy it outright? Looking at their website, I see NO option to buy the phone outright - or even any full price(s) listed.

Unless you're talking about getting raped for $1,000 or whatever it'll be on eBay from the guys "flipping" phones.

14. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

How is one being ripped off if they chose to enter into a contract with binding terms?

15. BuckDot thread starter macrumors member

Agreement.

You're absolutely right. It is my choice. But carriers have almost uniformly taken away options from customers (such as 1 year contracts) and increased fees.

Why all the "sympathy" for the carriers?

I have seen several threads about people wanting 1 year contracts for iPhones, and also remember a lot of people were upset when Verizon took away the 1 year option. Were you on here berating those people too?

16. rosemary1 macrumors regular

Then don't get it. There, all of your problems are now solved.

17. Schweitzer macrumors regular

Why would you want a so-called "subsidized" phone?

It's not subsidized, in fact you pay definitely more.

"Subsidized" phones are a ridiculously pathetic scam.

18. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Don't know about Verizon, but AT&T does reward some of its loyal customers by bumping up iPhone upgrades yearly.

19. BuckDot thread starter macrumors member

Completely agree.

This is why I historically always have done 1 year contracts, because you were able to get new technology every year and I thought a $60 premium over the 2 year contract was very fair.

There are obviously people on here that interpret being upset about this no longer being an option as "crying."

This is how things go in an oligopoly. It's very similar to how the airlines implemented the baggage fees... one airline started it and the rest of them followed suit.

20. hh83917 macrumors 6502

Even though that's true, unless you like to jump around switching carriers all the time, I don't see why not get a phone that they offer at a lower price.
    Well, unless this certain carrier is giving me a lot of trouble, ie. reception issues...etc., I don't see me switching my carrier every year. But I know that I'm used to the iPhone system, so why not just get the phone for lower price while they offer it. But I guess you have to know which carrier has the best reception in the area you are at most.