More uses for touch ID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ijon01, Feb 18, 2014.

1. ijon01 macrumors member

Can the touch ID be used for anything besides the screen lock? are apple planning anything else for the sensor in the near future? it seems a waste that it only has one function, been looking at other posts about Activator JB and how it allows a multitude of new functions for the sensor but i don't want to JB.

Are there any apps that utilize the sensor out at the moment?

Cheers

2. J.C macrumors 6502

Yes, you can purchase apps, television shows, movies and music from the various Apple stores using the sensor and fingerprint verification.

Yes, they're planning much more.

3. ijon01 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that's set up already, i hope they are...........

4. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Any links you can provide for what Touch ID may be used for in the future?

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

In lieu of a password for mobile banking (similar to how touch ID unlocks phone in lieu of pin code now), for starters.

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

id hope they would make it available to use for any password stored on the phone for passwords, getting on twitter, Facebook anything etc. that way even if someone has your phone they can't go let everyone know that you are gay on Facebook.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The simple answer is, without jailbreak, no, it cannot be used for anything else.

I am sure more will come. it wouldn't make sense for them to leave it as is. Just like when Siri was new, it's pretty limited right now (although much more useful IMO than siri was in its infancy).

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yes I would like to use it for every password.

9. J.C macrumors 6502

You shouldn't remain friends with anyone who has a problem with you being gay. They need to get over it.

10. cynics macrumors G3

Interestingly enough at a building I work at for the government, employees there are not allowed to use Touch ID if their iPhones contain work info. I found that interesting. They were telling me they just set that rule.

I'm exempt because I just work at the building not for the same gov contractor.

I'm curious to see future use with banking and credit card apps. They (especially credit cards) prioritize security.

11. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

It was a joke because you will see people exclaiming that they are gay because someone took their phone and wrote that.

12. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

At first I thought it was one of those features that I could do without. Not a huge selling point. But the Touch ID comes in handy if you are around a bunch of noisy kids, waiting for you to enter your passcode. lol

:eek:

13. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

This is the best I know of, if you ever decide to JB. We'll worth it if you ask me.
    http://youtu.be/C7FQWjg5ccA

14. NedSchneibly macrumors newbie

Lol, this is why grammar counts. You didn't say "so nobody can falsely post that you are gay", you said "so they can't let everybody know that you're gay". You do realize that those sentences have COMPLETELY different meanings, yeah?

Although, I agree with the 1st responder. If any of your "friends" would be bothered by you being gay- prolly time to hang out with broader minded individuals.

15. Bowsa2511 macrumors regular

Well if you Jailbreak you can use TouchID as a homebutton just by typing on it, and there's also a tweak that also automatically enters your passwords with your finger

16. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

my grammar is fine, you're is a contraction of you are. You said that i should have put the word falsely in, putting that word in would not make my sentence any more grammatically correct.

Also, never said that anyone of my friends would be bothered that i was gay, or if i was gay, or if my own status had been updated to that. Simply an example that most people have seen at one point or another.

Instead of a unneeded correction of my grammar, lets keep on topic of the thread, yeah?

17. NedSchneibly macrumors newbie

I like that you don't have to type in your password for find my friends if you've already unlocked your phone via TouchID.