Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randyl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
I just got stuck with a computer at work that has OS 10.7.5 and there is a very annoying feature when moving files. When I move a file from a folder onto the desktop the icon morphs. It gets bigger and moves the icon above the file name label. It does the exact opposite when I move a file from the desktop to a folder. It's very distracting and annoying and I want to turn it off. I don't need this eye candy and it serves no actual purpose.

Is there any way to keep icons from morphing and changing as you move them around? I'm not interested in how awesome this feature is. I'm just interested in turning it off.

Also, is there any way to turn off the animated effects when dialogs appear? They do this Walt Disney stretch and bounce effect when they open and it just makes the whole experience cheesy and distracting

Please help.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I just got stuck with a computer at work that has OS 10.7.5 and there is a very annoying feature when moving files. When I move a file from a folder onto the desktop the icon morphs. It gets bigger and moves the icon above the file name label.

Right-click or Control-click on your Desktop and select "Show View Options"

randyl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Right-click or Control-click on your Desktop and select "Show View Options"

I tried all the simple solutions. I checked system preferences and I tried the above option and there is nothing about morphing icons. Where in "Show View Options" are you suggesting I go? There aren't very many options...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I tried all the simple solutions. I checked system preferences and I tried the above option and there is nothing about morphing icons. Where in "Show View Options" are you suggesting I go? There aren't very many options...
Your icons aren't "morphing". They're just larger on your desktop. Drag the sliders indicated to adjust the size and spacing of icons on your desktop, and select where you want the text to appear.
Screen Shot 2014-12-04 at 12.15.34 PM.PNG

randyl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Your icons aren't "morphing". They're just larger on your desktop. Drag the sliders indicated to adjust the size and spacing of icons on your desktop, and select where you want the text to appear.

No, they *ARE* morphing. I said I tried all the simple things. This is not a size issue. The icons literally change shape when I drag from a folder to the desktop and they change shape when I drage them from the desktop to a folder. They run through a little animation where the icon gets smaller and moves to the side of the text and visa-versa. This is NOT covered in the settings or the preferences.

Is there a setting in terminal that I can use to shut this feature off. I want all the silly and useless OS animations to stop. Using this mac is like playing a Walt Disney video game and it's annoying.

Thanks

Again, I tried all the simple things like settings and preferences. I need help that is beyond the scope of simple settings.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No, they *ARE* morphing. I said I tried all the simple things. This is not a size issue. The icons literally change shape when I drag from a folder to the desktop and they change shape when I drage them from the desktop to a folder. They run through a little animation where the icon gets smaller and moves to the side of the text and visa-versa.
Those don't sound like native OS X animations, and there is no setting in OS X for what you describe. Can you provide some screen shots or a video clip to illustrate what you're seeing?

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Those don't sound like native OS X animations

As described, it sounds like the animation you see when you drag from an icon view to a list view. As you mentioned earlier, Finder adjusts the size (and in this case orientation of the text) to match the destination. If you drag from an icon view to an icon view (or list view to list view), this does not happen.

I do not find it all that disturbing, compared to say spring-loaded folders, which I have to turn off at OS install time.

A.

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
I just got stuck with a computer at work that has OS 10.7.5 and there is a very annoying feature when moving files. When I move a file from a folder onto the desktop the icon morphs. It gets bigger and moves the icon above the file name label. It does the exact opposite when I move a file from the desktop to a folder. It's very distracting and annoying and I want to turn it off. I don't need this eye candy and it serves no actual purpose.

Is there any way to keep icons from morphing and changing as you move them around? I'm not interested in how awesome this feature is. I'm just interested in turning it off.

Also, is there any way to turn off the animated effects when dialogs appear? They do this Walt Disney stretch and bounce effect when they open and it just makes the whole experience cheesy and distracting

Please help.

you could try downloading itweaks it has a disable animation suite on it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.