Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
So, where can I get the status of MorphOS being able to finally support the hi-res PB G4 and G5 Quad? Also, does MorphOS have a list of software ports like freebsd where one doesn't have to hunt for universal binary based sw to run on it in OS X?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
for the PG you need to wait a bit , if you ever get Morphos for the G5 i doubt it, if i see the performance it has on a G4 with 1.42ghz and just 2 GB ram a G5 would be overkill , that OS shows how much performance was deliberately hidden from us in OSX so we upgrade to intel as my eMac can with Morphos easy keep up with my iMac core duo and boot times app loading times it will definitely outperform it , boottimes under 10 sec that is something you need a ssd for in a intel Mac , i said it before it is really like somebody had quietly replaced the HDD with a SSD

and for software look here
http://morphos-files.net/index2.php
and here
http://morphos.efika.org/
and here
http://morphos.lukysoft.cz/

i expect more to come soon as its all still in development , and i said in another post this OS is developed by enthusiasts who love and PPC G4's

Last edited:

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Just a small point from a CS perspective (Yes, I do have Obsessive MySubjectIsTheMostImportant Compulsive Disorder... (Common among anybody at a University staff or students)): Performance isnt "Hidden" in Mac OS X. Mac OS X and MorphOS are incredibly different architecturally, and if you look at the "overhead" of each OS you see OS Xs is considerably larger, purely as its a 'nix variant and thus has a huge amount of overhead, whereas MorphOS is based on a superior-in-terms-of-raw-performance-but-less-great-in-other-ways Amiga architecture (Not that I dont love MorphOS, its just that the performance isn't hidden, its just used up by the OS itself in OS X... its still physically there, and if you tweak OS X, and managed to turn off enough of Darwin, you would get that performance back, under OS X, however maybe 30-40% of the features wouldnt "exist" in such a hypothetical installation - its the same way that my Dual 867 G4 screams under OS 9.. because it has such a low overhead compared to X).

However if someone does manage to get it running on a late PBG4 Id love to have it on my 1.67Ghz PowerBook (hi-res) - itd be nice to go back and use some of the Amiga apps I collected a coupla years back. And I wonder if what would happen if we give MorphOS an SSD... maybe our G4s would meet the Super Computer claims from '99....

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I know nothing about MorphOS other than the basics and seeing a few screen snaps. It reminds me a lot of your typical Fedora Linux that you find out there.

What I would like to experiment with is the newest PowerPC Darwin I can find and shoehorn a BSD GUI on it like Fluxbox. A few guys do with with gnome already.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
Just a small point from a CS perspective (Yes, I do have Obsessive MySubjectIsTheMostImportant Compulsive Disorder... (Common among anybody at a University staff or students)): Performance isnt "Hidden" in Mac OS X. Mac OS X and MorphOS are incredibly different architecturally, and if you look at the "overhead" of each OS you see OS Xs is considerably larger, purely as its a 'nix variant and thus has a huge amount of overhead, whereas MorphOS is based on a superior-in-terms-of-raw-performance-but-less-great-in-other-ways Amiga architecture (Not that I dont love MorphOS, its just that the performance isn't hidden, its just used up by the OS itself in OS X... its still physically there, and if you tweak OS X, and managed to turn off enough of Darwin, you would get that performance back, under OS X, however maybe 30-40% of the features wouldnt "exist" in such a hypothetical installation - its the same way that my Dual 867 G4 screams under OS 9.. because it has such a low overhead compared to X).

However if someone does manage to get it running on a late PBG4 Id love to have it on my 1.67Ghz PowerBook (hi-res) - itd be nice to go back and use some of the Amiga apps I collected a coupla years back. And I wonder if what would happen if we give MorphOS an SSD... maybe our G4s would meet the Super Computer claims from '99....

ok i know that and maybe hidden was the wrong word , but when i had the idea of installing leopard on one of my eMac's a while back now, i noticed the lack of performance right away , and did just what you suggested, basically i disabled one "new feature" after the other after google around where and how .... and then realized that i was actually left with tiger 10.4 thats only shown in about this Mac as leopard 10.5 ,and if i would take away some more features i would possibly end up with a panther 10.3 thats shown as leopard 10.5 , thats what i actually meant with hidden , basically the true performance of osx is hidden under all the added features , but that does not really mean OSX would be a total fail , the opposite is the case it still is a great OS and very user friendly , but somehow i feel it is a bit overloaded by now , thats why faster and faster processors are needed and more and more ram to run some apps alongside the OS

actually if i think about it as i used a amiga 2000 in the last century mid 80's i wonder why it never made it as it was actually what looked like a OS with a bright future in the 80's , ok i know commodore went bankrupt so did escom and all the others who tred to get amiga back in the game dominated by OSX , windows and linux .. but i belive Morph OS could get the thing rolling again and it has a side effect maybe some will keep their old G4 Mac's as the argument ...cant run new apps doesn't matter any more so much as you can dual boot with Morph OS and tiger and enjoy the best of both worlds :)

Last edited:

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace

I agree.. can someone or maybe you let me know when MorphOS will be ready for the last G4 PowerBooks? Mine is a 17 inch 1.67 hi-res, or A1139. It also has an SSD drive in it as I just put one in there and I am very pleased with its performance.. it certainly beats the pants off a 7200/5400 PATA HDD.

It is OWC's legacy PATA SSD.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
didn't say it will never run on a G5 , i just said it seems like overkill

the best alternative is OSX Tiger (10.4.11) , if you dont need much multitasking OS 9 /classic ;)

Last edited:

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
thats simple if you need a alternative to OSX and dont want to spend the money /or have a Mac thats not supported by Morph OS ,
then just go PureDarvin

http://www.puredarwin.org/ support stopped in 2009 for PPC

but linux is a good alternative too Ubuntu for PPC for example works well and is supported by a community now and ubuntu is getting better each time and it is becoming a real alternative to OSX and windows now and is open source

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/10.04/release/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.