Mortal Kombat! PS3/360 Holy Crap!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by macfan881, Jun 10, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I gotta say that does look brilliant. I was bashing around in MK games when I was 9 and they made me into the ultra violent person I am today. Everything beyond the first 3 (and even the handheld ones :mad:) were such a let down. This looks like it should be a good fighter.

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I'm more excited about the proof of concept short movie that is out.

4. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

5. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Yeah, I really recommend seeing the game's real trailer, before the director's audition trailer. The MK Rebirth trailer is bad @$$!

I'm holding off judgement on the new game, the last three were utter crap, with the DC Vs MK a complete travesty! They have a lot to make up for, and I really hope Ed Boon can keep his trap shut for once. He's promised more stuff in each game than Molyneux does in each Fable. Lay off the supposed hidden crap that supposedly is in the game, but never is, and just deliver a decent fighter with gore. It isn't too much to ask.

I have my fingers crossed.

6. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Me too. MK was my favorite fighting series. ...at least the original trilogy was.

7. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

The Rebirth trailer had my jaw on the floor. Just stunning how they took the supernatural elements and translated them to reality.

Here's the trailer - click me

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Love MK - the only game I can sorta win with randomly mashing buttons... :eek:

The first movie was awesome too... :eek:

:D

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Jeff Gherstman and Brad "the voice" at Giantbomb practically orgasmed on mic over this game. They said its a lot like MK2 with some MK3 sprinkled on top.

Which means nothing to me since I only really played the first game when I was about 10...

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh wow, that's perfect then.
    I still can't kick the feeling that something will be wrong with it.

12. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

MK3 was pretty much the last strong game in the series, and even then they ( Midway/Boon ) broke it with other iterations & crap. MK3 pretty much made it clear the studio had no idea how to program AI, and instead just counted on the AI being allowed to do things no player could. Case in point, AI Jade's infamous ability to go immaterial while running forward ( the first input for the that ability is joystick back, in case anyone forgot ), which she used to go through any attack by the player and start a combo. This usually meant that experienced players counted more on glitches and traps to win, than actual ability. On the flip side, MK became more known for it's PvP anyways, not the single player side.

I wish Ultimate MK3 had never been made. :mad: Pile a crap!

It's MK2 though that most longtime fans look back on fondly, seen as the one that got it all right, with no extra silliness. So I can see why Gertsmann would be psyched.

I do have to admit though, I did have some fun playing MK Deception, but Konquest mode is something that should never, never, never happen again.

Like I said, my problem is more with Boon himself. He always promises the world... I forgot if it was Alliance he said would have torn clothing and injuries present, but it's a feature that got cut due to time ( A mantra that would be repeated from that point on in every MK game when they didn't deliver something Boon promised ), and eventually added later. Point is, don't promise what you can't deliver. It was cool when supposedly all this hidden stuff was in 3 that people 'may' never discover, only to have the code ripped up and proven isn't there. It makes him look more like a huckster, and a crappy designer counting on lies to promote the next weak link in the series.

Just focus in on the game play, deliver hilarious fatalities ( try not to think of the last two games, it'll make you cry recalling those 'fatalities' ), deliver tight net code, and lay off the fake promises. That's it! Street Fighter seems to remember that gameplay matters, look what it's done for them...

Shame though, that it took a teaser audition trailer for a possibly WB show to get people excited again about MK, but shows there is still love for the series. Hopefully this game delivers.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This takes me back to when I first saw subzero ripped kano spine out when I was a kid at the arcade...this looks brilliant.

Cyrax, Sector, kung lau and ninja subzero(not the greece haired one) = insta win.

Please give Raiden his old look from MK1/2.

Bless

14. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

That new 'freeze frame' impact hits deal the have is flippin sweet! Also seen the Kung Lao spinning hat fatality....YUMMY!! :D

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just read that it's going to be stereoscopic supported. YAY! Got my new 3DTV all ready :D