Moshi Clearguard and Palmguard necessary?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Belm, Jun 25, 2009.

?

Do you use a keyboard cover and palm guard?

1. i use a keyboard cover

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. i use a palmguard

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. i use both

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. i use neither

22 vote(s)
    68.8%
  1. Belm macrumors regular

I'm buying a 13" Macbook Pro for college and was wondering if the Moshi guards are necessary. I'll be the only one using it and I won't be traveling with it often.

How long does it take for the keyboard to wear? Is staining the aluminum palm rest an issue? Are people just exaggerating? I want to be cautious and get them but I want to make sure it worth it. It seems kind of overkill to me.

2. Belm thread starter macrumors regular

3. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Nothing is necessary.

I use the clearguard and like it a lot. You hardly know it is there and I like being able to spray clorox all over it whenever I want.

4. rolex54 macrumors 6502

i have had mine since october '08 and the aluminum has no wear whatsoever. Some people have sweaty hands and i would assume thats what causes any wear. My keyboard is starting to get a little glossy but it doesn't bother me...

I would say just pass on them, but some people really like them...

5. Belm thread starter macrumors regular

This is what I'm thinking. I keep thinking about going to my grandma's house and seeing plastic over her furniture.

6. AppleUser2 macrumors member

Belm - absolute classic line.

7. Belm thread starter macrumors regular

It's true :D. She's had that stupid plastic on the same furniture since I was little. I'm 22 now and it's still there.

8. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

I'd rather keep the money thanks... :p

But seriously, its a massive waste in my humble opinion.

9. ssdar macrumors member

well, i use both moshi clearguard and palmguard + invisishield protection on the outside for my uMBP and i like it.
    It gives me peace of mind that it will not be scratced and keys will not wear out.
    When i want to trade it for a new one in some time the resell value will be higher when there's no physical damage of any kind.

10. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

The only thing to really consider is the cloth that lays between your keyboard and LCD prevent finger grease from getting on your screen.

11. Queue Cumber macrumors newbie

I know the plastic things is a bit weird, but consider this: maybe the plastic cover is the reason why her furniture has lasted for 20+ years. ;)

12. Belm thread starter macrumors regular

But 20 years of sitting on plastic is no fun at all, especially in the summer :eek:. I understand what you mean though. I can see wanting these if you were planning on reselling it later but I don't think I will. I'll probably keep it until it dies.

13. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

The computer is meant to be used, and thus, will incur wear.

A keyboard protector will not increase the life of your computer or keyboard, it will just increase the length of time that the keyboard will look new(while having an ugly layer of plastic over it).

That's like buying a car, and then always keeping it in the garage because it might get dings, or get dirty, or the tires will wear down.

I don't use anything to protect it, I bought some windex wipes, and I wipe the keyboard and display down every 3 or 4 days and it keeps my machine clean enough for me.

14. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I've had my MBP since March 2008. I use it ALL the time. No covers of any kind, no damage of any kind on keyboard or wrist spots. I do have to wipe off the salts from the residual sweat periodically (once a month) off the surface, but this is simple and doesn't leave any marks.

15. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

A clearguard is practically invisible. It's so thin you can't even tell it's on. More importantly, it prevents dust, crumbs, and hairs from going under your keys, as well as making your keyboard spillproof(the logic board is RIGHT under the keyboard. any fluids that manage to seep under will mean death for your MBP). A computer that has water spilled on the speaker grille is much more likely to survive than a computer with water spilled on the keyboard.

A palmguard on the other hand, is unnecessary.