Moshi Clearguard Touch Screen? Or Not? Bad or Good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MMPascal, May 5, 2009.

1. MMPascal macrumors member

I just got a 17" MPB the new model with the matte screen and I bought the Moshi Clearguard with it. I really like it and used to it already.

My only concern is when its closed does the screen touch the keys and if so what should I look out for? I was told the Matte LCD Screen is slightly harder to clean than the glass on the glossy screen, so what should I do? Take it off before i close it and put it back on or what other options are there?

2. quackwack macrumors member

the matte should be easier to clean as with with glass smearing and streaking is more apparent.

i use iklear and a microfiber cloth to clean the matte screen and just use the dust sheet that came inside the mbp when i close the the lid.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I didn't think it would be bad. After a few days of using it, I didn't really notice anything on screen until sunlight really hit the screen. You could see an imprint of at least 85% of the clearguard/keyboard. The only advice I have is put it on when you're using it but once you're leaving it in sleep or turning it off overnight, remove it.

4. benchobi macrumors newbie

I've wondered this about the Clearguard myself. I've got one on order hoping it wouldn't buff the screen while the machine is closed and in transport. I've sighted down the keyboard and it appears to be fairly flush with the body. Add to that we have the advantage of the matte screen being recessed into the top slightly. I'm hoping there is no issue.

iLog.Genius: Was your imprint on a matte screen or other type?

I guess there's not a lot of experience with the Clearguard and 17" unibody. Searches have turned up nothing.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Stock glass. It's pretty ****** but you won't see it unless a light source is really shining on it.

6. benchobi macrumors newbie

I had a notion it was glass. The glass takes away the depth advantage the matte screen has I believe. I still might stick something very soft on top of the keyboard for transport like quackwack is doing.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I was planning that as well. I plan on getting a piece of felt to cover the whole base (keyboard + trackpad).

8. MMPascal thread starter macrumors member

yeah right now im using that thing that was inbetween when i got it but that thing is rolling and everything so not really easy to throw back on every time. i thought the same thing since the matte goes in a bit it should be good but i am not sure. + i was hopeing not to carry around the pretection all the time so hmmm maybe i just take it off every day when i close it and before use put th thing on? i dont know or maybe just use it? everything should be able to remove it from the screen while cleaning right?

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

easier? how could a smooth glass surface not be easy?

10. MMPascal thread starter macrumors member

I contacted Moshi Customer Service to see if they know ... this is the reply I got:

"Hi Pascal,

In most cases, it's not Clearguard which makes marks on the Macbook's screen. It is the oil from our fingers that is leaving a residual on the screen. Taking the Clearguard off each time will solve this problem. Another recommendation I have is using our Shieldpad along with the Clearguard. This will prevent oil from getting on the screen.

Best regards,

Customer Service"

11. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

I saw someone state this before, but it's really not noticeable unless you're in direct sunlight. Anywhere indoors in any room, I don't see it.

It's not hard to remove though. I wash my clearguard weekly-ish. Just whenever I think about it, but mainly when it gets 'frosty' looking, so that keeps it from getting the screen too dirty.

I just have to say again... I will never go without my clearguard. I love it.

12. MMPascal thread starter macrumors member

The Shiledpad is actually pretty cool due to the fact that I always need a mousepad lol ... is this available in the apple store too or only online? maybe anybody know a store in NYC where i can buy it?

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Have your tried calling an Apple store to check? Also most stores that would have these products would have online stores as well, so check online or stock and see if you can pick up?

14. MMPascal thread starter macrumors member

Actually apple dont even have it online so I guess not. I also read a review and it said that it dont really work as a mousepad, so what I most likely going to do when I close it (most time its open on a desk) I just take the Clearguard off and put it in the same case ... and before I use it I throw it back on ... I know after a while I will be like "**** it" and just dont care about it, its just the first 2 weeks just got the baby lol

15. benchobi macrumors newbie

MMPascal I'll let you know on the ShieldPad if I receive one. When you mentioned it I did a little research and contacted Aevoe.com to see if they could add one to my order. I had no email saying my order had shipped yet, so I'm hoping they could get one in. If they do my Mac will be all Moshi-fied with the ClearGuard, PalmGuard, and ShieldPad.

16. MMPascal thread starter macrumors member

Yeah if you could do that would be perfect. I took the thing that came with the mac book and cut it down to keyboard size lol

17. quackwack macrumors member

just realised i have a shieldpad, it was included in my codex case. i probably wont use it though as i prefer the sheet as it covers the whole area, plus it fills in the slight bow i have with my lid.

18. benchobi macrumors newbie

Happy to now give Aevoe good marks for service

Edit: Aevoe followed up with me today and impressed me with their response. I will update those interested as soon as I receive my order.

19. MMPascal thread starter macrumors member

20. benchobi macrumors newbie

Unfortunately Aevoe must have had my order confused with someone else. Last Thurs they said the ShieldPad would make my order. Low and behold an email shows up later that day saying my order had shipped (I had ordered on Sun) but it had tracking details from earlier in the week......my order actually had shipped on Mon.

I'm going to use the dust pad from the original packaging until I decide what to do long term.

21. benchobi macrumors newbie

OK, just got back from a week long travel with my 17" matte Macbook with Clearguard. I forgot the dust shield at the office so I discovered something. There is enough room between the keyboard and the Clearguard for the Clearguard to actually come off the keyboard. I noticed that every time I opened the Macbook the Clearguard was off. I did an experiment where I put the Clearguard on the keyboard, rotated the Macbook and carefully opened the lid. The Clearguard was not on the keyboard. When I use the dust shield between the screen and keyboard, the Clearguard was always on when I opened the lid.

I could see some imprints of the Clearguard on the screen where it had moved off the keyboard, but a little iKlear cleaned it right up.

Conclusion: Use something between the keyboard and screen to prevent the Clearguard from coming off (and possibly rubbing screen), or remove it during transport. :cool:

22. MMPascal thread starter macrumors member

yep I made the same experiance, I usually had something inbetween so I never noticed it, but like always I got lazy over the time and just left it and then after opening it was always off. Sometimes it even left marks on the screen as far as dirt but easy to get off.

23. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

I hadn't noticed it until the other day when sunlight hit it and it was really bad, I just put some water on a cloth and cleaned it.
    Then I used the thin sheet of foam which comes with it when new and cut that up to the keyboard size... so now when I'm going anywhere I just put that in place and I'm set!

Attached Files:

24. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502