Moshi Clearguard

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MilkMan4, Jul 30, 2011.

1. MilkMan4 macrumors regular

First off, this fits the MBA, right?
    Second, is this a good product? Is it noticeable and does it feel awkward?
    Lastly, are there any retail stores that sell it? I'd rather buy it in store so I can return it easier if I don't like it.

2. iExpensive, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

I had one for my 2010 MBA because I was afraid of the text rubbing off the keys. The Moshi fits nicely and feels alright. You can get used to it, but nothing feels better than unprotected.

There's no doubt it's the best keyboard cover out there. I just don't find the need to use one on the 2011.

Pros: Protection from spills, dust, and shiny keys

Cons: Blocked speakers and fan

Also, when closing the MBA with the cleargaurd on oil tends to get on the screen

3. FNi macrumors member

Ain't that the truth...

4. chazmink macrumors member

I got mine from B and H. So far I like it fine. Fits my 2011 13" perfectly.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

6. xz15jq macrumors newbie

Check out your local TJ Maxx. I picked up a Zagg 13" MBA full body kit for $4.99. Sure as hell beats the $55 retail on their site. Looks beautiful once installed.

7. stevenpa macrumors 6502

The screen issue is something I'm worried about. Is it easy to clean off?

8. Built macrumors 68020

I always use...on any of my laptops since around 2008...a keyboard/screen protector from Shaggymac...a thin layer of fabric that you place over the keyboard before you close the laptop. Some may think this is overkill but it saves me having to deal with the transfer of oils and dirt to the screen from the keyboard.

I have had one on each of my Macbooks, as well as my Windows laptops.

9. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Just installed Palm Guard myself. Have used them for years. Great product

10. Built macrumors 68020

I have the Moshi Palm Guard on my 2010 MBP 13 and just ordered one for my MBA 13. Agreed. Great product.

11. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

It takes some effort to fully get the oil off. More often than not the oil just moves to the corners. You only notice that it's there when the screen is off. For a perfectionist like me, it's a pretty big problem. I like the screen to look brand new. I assume with a cleaning solution like iKlear it would be easier.

12. jmh1028 macrumors newbie

it's relatively pricey (~$20 from Amazon) but definitely the best keyboard cover i've seen. it's barely noticeable, protects well, & doesn't move around when typing. It's well worth the investment!

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

Does a clear guard help against minor spills onto the keyboard?

14. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Yes, Ive had a couple spills and it got caught on the guard not a bit got through.

15. jpi macrumors newbie

would clear guard and something like that work at the same time? or would that be overkill?

16. saketbash macrumors newbie

Thats actually exactly what I'm doing except I went for this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NRHTNG) . The clear guard will still gather oil and dust and while wiping it down is the best way, I don't always remember to do that but I'll have the screen protector to ensure that they don't transfer to the lcd screen. Its the best combo (esp if you add the palm guard by moshi as well) for OCD people like me lol. Its a nice setup!

17. jpi macrumors newbie

hmm... very tempting. man I get too obsessive now. I don't even have my Air yet, and still I am getting all crazy about protection. Had laptops for the last 7 years and I never did anything for protection and it worked just fine. :p apple drives you nuts!

18. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Having spilt a cup of coffee over my old PowerBook, I wouldn't be without my Moshi Clearguard.

19. trondah macrumors 6502

The clearguard gets cloudy and looks **** after a while. After taking it off I realized how much better it is naked.

20. jpi macrumors newbie

btw. how do u like your screen protection cloth?

21. FieldingMellish Suspended

Then I'm getting one. It's good to have on at the coffee shop. I can alway roll it up and put it into a prophylactic package and keep it in my wallet for just in case.

22. saketbash macrumors newbie

I love it! Wipes display and the keyboard cover/ palm-rest easily and is pretty thin. Make sure to use it with a non-silicone keyboard cover though. The problem with the thicker keyboard covers is when adding that, the screen won't stay shut very well when you have both on there. One or the other is fine but not both. Thats why I got both the Moshi palm cover as well as the their keyboard cover (its thin enough to work acceptably with the screen protector I got). Yes I know I'm very OCD about it but hey I figure if I've spent this much on something (wanted a Mac for over 6 years and got myself one for graduation) I'd like it to stay nice lol. Best of luck!

23. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I checked the local one tonight.. tons of device skins and iPad 1 - nothing for MBA - I wonder where there's another one and if they'd have anything...

They had several STM bags.