Moshi iGlaze with Versacover

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by PittsDriver, Jul 12, 2012.

1. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

Well, I got some weird bug up my butt as I was on my "perfect" case search which led me to order this case, as well as the Ozaki iClear slim Y+. I had a Speck Pixelskin HD from my iPad 2 which was showing wear. I bought the updated version for the iPad 3, which I was not impressed with. I then saw that Apple had released the SmartCase which I new nothing about, but looked pretty good so I tried that. Needless to say it sucked so I took it back. I then started getting more into these origami style cases which led me to the Ozaki. It is a very nice case, great fitment and very nice quality. My only problem with it, was the lid does not stay closed when flipped upside down as the magnet that holds the lid to the ipad is not powerful. Also, there is no magnet on the back of the case to hold the lid back when you are using the iPad. Both of these issues were addressed with the Moshi iGlaze.

I have not used this case for any length of time yet as I just received it in the mail today. But here are my first impressions:

Fitment:
    Fitment is fantastic. All cutouts, moldings, buttons etc. are right were they should be. The case feels more secure on the iPad, and would be less prone from falling out of the case in the event it is dropped. I was concerned about the Ozaki in that regard. The Versacover is perfectly shaped to the ipads dimensions.

Origami lid comparisons:
    The lids are very similar but there are some differences. The biggest would be the fact that the Versacover does not roll into the triangle shape the Ozaki does(like Apples Smart Cover and Smart Case). This is my only gripe about the Moshi iGlaze up to this point. They fold into their respective shapes the same, and are extremely secure in portrait and landscape positions. There are 2 added lines on the Versacover that run on the top and bottom edges of the iPad when looking at it in portrait. I think these are to aid in opening and closing the lid.These are needed with this case as the lid is very form fitting and would be a pain to open otherwise.

Material:
    The plastic backing of the Moshi iGlaze is hard, not TPU. It is thin enough to keep the form factor of the iPad, yet protective enough if it fell on the floor if on your lap, or on the coffee table etc. The lid is a soft material both on the inside and outside. I am not sure how to explain it really, but it is nice to the touch. Inside of the lid is probably a rigid cardboard. I have more confidence in this lid than the Ozaki. There are no volume buttons, but there is an on/off button that is the same plastic material as the back of the case.

Quality:
    Quality is great, you can tell they took their time in designing this case, and it is manufactured very well.

Overall:
    I am very excited to use this case. I am a pilot so I will be using this in the cockpit a bunch, and I use my iPad for everything and this case will suit me fine. The various colors offered will allow the suited businessman to use this case in a professional environment, as well as the casual user who wants a good looking case. The price point is a tad above the mainstream cases out right now but I feel it is worth it. It is stylish, functional and protective. I recommend this case to people who are looking for this type of protection. It wont protect well for those who abuse their products I dont think. It doesnt have the shock protection that cases like the PixelSkin HD has. That being said, this will absolutely combat scratches, marginal drops onto certain surfaces, and keep the iPad ticking.

Here is where I purchased the case:
    http://store.moshimonde.com/ipad/iglaze-versacover.html

It took about 5 days from ordering to delivery.

Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sithjedi333 macrumors newbie

Compared to the regular smart cover, how tightly does the lid stay closed and open when flipped behind the back? If you shake it does it detach too easily?

Also how do you feel about the range of angles in landscape mode? Judging by the website it has a limited range of about 40-60 degrees. How is it in typing mode in your lap?

Thanks and great review. This case looks very interesting.

3. PittsDriver thread starter macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

The lid stays closed really well. It doesnt sag much at all, and doesnt open. The typing angle on the lap will be ok, it wont bug me a whole lot.

4. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

Very nice review, I'm glad you were so fast about it too :D
    Do you feel that if you got the ozaki y++ instead of the y+, your opinion would be different? As dieburnbot stated, the cover is thicker and seems to hold better with the magnets.

Secondly do both trigger the auto on/off feature by accident easily?

5. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Thanks for the review. How do you like the typing angle on it? I was going to order it and am still considering it as I'm a case freak lol, but I am worried about the typing angle being too steep on the Moshi.

6. PittsDriver thread starter macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

Without having handled the Y++ I cannot say whether or not it would be better. But the moshi is rock solid. Like its glued to. The front.

To answer your second question, no the moshi doesn't trigger accidental on/off. My Ozaki does and it drives me nuts but that's because the magnets don't secure the lid on enough so it moves. There is no movement with the moshi.

----------

The typing angle doesn't bother me actually. What I've been doing is flipping my iPad 180 degrees and putting it on my lap the Versacover makes a V or cone shape that rests in between my legs and creates the perfect angle. Right now I'm typing on my iPad with the elevated landscape position and it doesn't bug me.

7. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

thanks alot for the review! I thought I could make a decision tonight but after dieburnbot uploaded that video of the Y++, it also solved your concerns with the Y+. this is really tough :confused:

8. PittsDriver thread starter macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

I like both and will probably keep the Ozaki as I am a case nut, but as of now the Moshi is my favorite.

9. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Wow, I like this! Just one question I could not figure out from their website. Is this two separate parts or one case? (If it's two parts, does the back lock on the front?) Thanks!

10. PittsDriver thread starter macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

Oh man that was the first thing I wanted to address and I forgot!!! When I watched review videos, and read about the case I was wondering if it was a separate piece as they always said "with Versacover" but I couldn't find a definitive answer. Yes the case is 1 piece, or rather the Versacover is attached. It appears to be glued to the outide and inside of the plastic back. It isn't going anywhere!

11. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Thanks! Now just wonder what color would look best on a white iPad . . .

12. PittsDriver thread starter macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

The clear/grey looks fantastic I bet it would be really nice on the white iPad.

13. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Thanks--the white is also tempting . . . I have too many cases--but that's the way it goes . . .:cool:

14. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

I ended up ordering the Y++ from Ozaki simply because Moshi didn't have the black version of the versacover available :p

however.. its been awaiting delivery for a while, if they don't ship it out soon and the black versacover is available, I'll probably switch.