Moshi keyboard cover fit Macbook pro retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlazednSleepy, Jun 17, 2012.

1. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Can anyone confirm this? I noticed the bezel around the keyboard seems to be smaller than the regular macbook pros. Can anyone confirm it fits without overlapping the bezel? Thanks.

2. BlazednSleepy thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think the keyboard is the same across the whole MacBook line even the bezel so it should fit.

4. gabe211 macrumors member

From Moshi's Facebook fan page:

For any of you getting one of Apple's newly announced MacBooks; all of Moshi's current MacBook gear (Clearguards, Palmguards, iGlaze, iVisors, Muse, etc) is indeed compatible with the updated machines. We do not yet have these products for the new 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display, although our adapters and many other peripherals will still be compatible.

However if you go to Moshi's site, the retina MBP is an option in the drop down menu but it seems to not be any different.

5. BlazednSleepy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for that info. I guess it's gonna take 4-6 weeks to make.

6. ozbimmer macrumors member

FYI the keyboard cover works on the MBP/RD, but not the ivisor.

7. Interlude macrumors newbie

8. treminaor macrumors member

I ordered the Clearguard that they previously claimed to be compatible with the 15" Retina and was severely disappointed with it. I sent an email to their support department and after a few emails and pictures I convinced them that the fit was incorrect. "Thank you for editing the photo. We'll have this sent to our product development team for inspection. "

Here are the photos of the fit, the last of which has an edited overlay on the keys so that you can easily see the gaps in the fit on the keys. Also notice the bending of the Clearguard near the edge of the keyboard because it does not fit properly into the bezel.

Left: http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1101/img0754q.jpg
    Right: http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1962/img0755s.jpg
    Edited: http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/584/img0754edit.jpg

I don't know if they've updated them yet but the email conversation ended on June 27th which was less than two weeks ago (not long enough to change out their stock I would think)

9. BigHerky macrumors newbie

Did they say if they would replace yours or anything?

10. treminaor macrumors member

They offered to replace it but I insisted that I did not think a replacement would change the fit unless they truly believe they could've shipped one that was cut incorrectly. They responded by giving me a full refund and paying for return shipping (which they specified was against their policy).

11. BlazednSleepy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think you might have the wrong one.

Check this out at around 3:20

See how the edges stay within the keyboard bezel? Yours overlaps it in the pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zaw7bXiLRqg

12. treminaor macrumors member

The dimensions on their site for their RMBP and MBP keyboard covers are identical, and they sent me the MBP 15" one which is the same one they sell for RMBPs... unless they cut it wrong (it looks fine, just doesn't fit), I disagree about receiving the wrong one..

Also, that video never shows anything but the screen... not sure what I'm supposed to see?

13. BlazednSleepy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh shoot sorry about that lol.

heres the right video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zoh_pZI3pu0

14. treminaor macrumors member

I still see a bit of a gap but his seems to fit much better than mine. I'm hesitant to buy it again at the risk of dealing with the return but I guess I'll give them one more chance. What I'm really waiting for is the Palmguard for RMBP. Hurry up, Moshi!

15. Naish84 macrumors newbie

i am using a moshi on my new rMbp and it fits very well.

16. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I took mine off the 2010 Mbp and put it on the retina and it fits. I do wish it fits a bit more tighter.

17. treminaor macrumors member

Better than what I showed in those pictures above? The more I see these positive reviews, the more I think maybe they just massively screwed up the manufacture of the one I received.

18. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

It fits and lines up, but is not snug. If you really need the protection, get it now and use it until a full Retina one is released.

19. treminaor macrumors member

I just received my second one and am just as disappointed with it as I was before. This fits like a joke. I have to press the keys so hard that while typing, words get typed with letters missing in the middle because I wasn't pressing hard enough. It also slides around while I type. I don't see how ANYONE could be happy with this?!?!

Time to have fun returning it AGAIN. I can't even use it while waiting for a proper one - the fit is just that bad.

20. mdapple macrumors regular

21. treminaor, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

treminaor macrumors member

Yes I purchased the Wrapsol $44 full coverage package and am very pleased with it. It was a total b*tch to apply but I had no problems with spraying the liquid liberally all over my rMBP. I did however hate the trackpad cover that came with it. I ordered the Moshi TrackGuard and am much happier using it.