Moshi Moshi Pop Handset

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Resist, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

Anyone here using the Moshi Moshi Pop handset with their iPhone or other Apple device? Been thinking about picking one of these up because a cell phone has never felt comfortable against my head and a "normal" telephone handset is just more comfortable. Plus you can free up your hands, by holding it with you head and shoulder, something you can't do with the iPhone. And I'm sure keeping cell phone radiation away from your head is a good idea as well, but not my primary reason for wanting this handset. I think it would just be more comfortable. Obviously it would be better for use at home than on the go, because it's larger than the iPhone and not something you can keep in your pocket. From what I understand it also helps with the sound quality. So if anyone has any experience with this product I would like to hear about it.

2. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

3. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

I was considering it just because the design was intriguing, but when I saw it in person at Brookstone (yes, they carry them there), I was a bit disappointed at the quality. In other words, it looks cheap in real life, and the shiny plastic gets scratched if you breathe on it.

-SGD

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Funny, I bought one of these for my daughter and it's actually a pretty cool product...I roll with it in the car when I want to go retro.

5. Resist, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Shiny plastic? The ones I have seen are a matte color. I'm talking about the retro POP version.

6. Resist, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

So I finally bought myself a Moshi Moshi Pop, it's the soft touch black version and doesn't look or feel cheap in any way. I love this thing, it's so much more comfortable using my iPhone for calls now.

7. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

Where did you get it? I thought they only come in shiny plastic.

8. Resist, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

Well if you remember how telephone handsets used to be back in the day, they all were shiny plastic. I much more prefer the soft touch matte finish though that products are coming out now. But I got my Native Union Moshi Moshi Pop at Amazon. The handset feels just as solid as they did back in the 70's. Native Union has a couple specialty versions of the Pop (gold and silver), that might not be the soft touch style. Are you sure you were looking at the Pop version? Or maybe what you saw was a knock off. I've seen some pictures online supposedly of the Pop style with different mouth and ear piece slots, which makes me believe these were knock offs. I just discovered YUBZ makes a similar handset that is shiny, so I'm sure there are other companies out there as well.

The only thing I dislike about this headset is that there is no sidetone, like with normal telephones and most mic headsets. Without sidetone it's like your ear is covered when you talk and is kind of unnatural.

9. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Apparently there actually is sidetone when using the Moshi Moshi Pop. But it is very weak, which from what I found out is the fault of my iPhone and not this handset.

I'm learning that most (if not all), cell phones don't have sidetone.

10. animatedude macrumors 65816

i like the design of this but can i use it for my landline? i can't find any cool looking phones for my desk...any suggestions?

11. animatedude macrumors 65816

does this work for landlines? is there a way to use it for a landline? i love the design.

12. rgctx macrumors regular

The original Native Union brand comes in matte only, any other "shiny" versions you see are knockoff's, also most knockoff's have a short cord which makes them useless. The fake packaging is the same as the original moshi phone except the packaging will say "POP PHONE" in the corner. There are alot of people who pay $30 on Amazon and think they are getting the real deal and end up getting a fake $10 one, some dont even notice it, some do.

They do make a nice desk version, called the Native Union Moshi Moshi 03i [​IMG] It costs around $60-90, i tried it out however the bluetooth range isnt that great, so if you go into another room a few feet away, you will have to take the phone with you.

How to spot a fake, the real version is on the right. The fake ones have hole's on the ear/mouth piece instead of curves.

[​IMG]

Resist, i would recommend getting one. Even though it looks a bit funny using one its genius, the call quality is great compared to using a Bluetooth headset.

I would not recommend getting the white/yellow/orange/lime/pink version unless your hands are never dirty. I had the white and lime for a while and it was hard to clean off, after a few weeks you could see it start to get dirty from sweaty palms and collect dirt.

13. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I have a fake I got from eBay for $10 and it works pretty good. I'm on it now as I type this.

14. DroidRules macrumors 65816

15. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

It's awesome. I use mine all the time when I'm at home. It's much more relaxing and clearer to talk using the handset.

[​IMG]

16. stfwayne macrumors regular

Been looking to order one of these handsets for a while now

Make sure you order from the official Native Amazon page and make sure it is shipped by AMAZON or NATIVE.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046EDK3K/

Any other seller will mostly likely be selling a fake.

They range from $18 to $25 (black edition) for the official versions.

Not a bad deal at all!

17. TwinCitiesJHawk macrumors 6502

TwinCitiesJHawk

got my black moshi coming in today via Amazon (seller Amazon). Will post with my thoughts after heavy use.

18. animatedude macrumors 65816

but this doesn't look like it works with landline it only has a USB port or something...no port for my landline cable.

i want a telephone which looks cool and stylish for my living room to be used for my landline which i get for free with the DSL connection.

19. rgctx macrumors regular

What color combo do you guys have ?

Black or White Iphone and Color Headset ????

I bought some a while back to sell on ebay so trying to figure out what color would go best with the white iphone so i can offload the other ones, any ideas ?

20. djransom, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Black iPhone with a red hanset. I'm going to order one of the official handsets to compare soon. Only thing I don't like is that the jack doesn't play too nice with my Commuter, but work well with my other cases.