Moshi Palmguard Installation Video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by S-Man, Mar 2, 2009.

1. S-Man macrumors regular

S-Man

I got my Moshi Palmguard in the other day and decided to do an installation video for it.
    Many people have posted about not being able to align it correctly on the first try and having to un-stick it then re-apply it.

I'm in the sign industry and install vinyl decals pretty often. So I applied my techniques from my profession to the palmguard.

Let me know what you think.

P.S. Is it pronounced "Mah-shee" or "Moe-shee"?
    (I said "Mah-shee" in the video fyi)

Video Link

(Is there a way to embed the video onto the post?)

2. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

great video! :) I ordered the clear guard for my keyboard, says it will ship 2-3 weeks, not sure why so long. I woulda order the palmguard also but they do not have one for the 17" unibody yet. :(

question, if you were to remove this later on for whatever reason, would it leave any sticky residue or have tan lines (like the unprotected areas will be darker than the area protected with the palmguard)?

3. S-Man thread starter macrumors regular

S-Man

That's a good questions about 'tan lines'...I'm not sure about that. But from what I've read, there is no residue left behind when you un-stick the guard...I don't know what happens several years from now though. I guess we'll see?

Also, I ordered my Palmguard and Clearguard from Amazon. They used a third party seller though. It came fast. The Moshi site was "sold out". Bummer.

4. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

i ordered my clear guard last week from that aveo site. i hope it comes soon, when did you order yours?

5. S-Man thread starter macrumors regular

S-Man

Looking at my Amazon records, I ordered it Monday the 23rd, and got it Thursday, the 26th. I wasn't expecting it to come very quickly but was pleasantly surprised.
    I also made that video using iMovie '09. It's a sweet program.

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

It won't leave any residue, at least that's what the website claims.
    And for the tan lines, the areas to the sides of the keyboard are not really rubbed by your hands very much, so there shouldn't be any wear on them. The most affected areas from wear and tear are right next to the trackpad, that's why the Palm Guard only covers that.
    So I would say you don't have to worry about that.

I have both the Palm Guard and Clear Guard and LOVE them both.

7. wesrk macrumors 6502a

I don't know about residue for this one in particular, I've seen people remove whatever cover they have and residue is not something I've seen, but tanning does happen, usually it's just that the unprotected areas are dirty (that's why they look darker than the unprotected area), so just clean it and everything goes back to looking good as new.

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I think it's pronounced Moe-shee :)

Good job on the video. I can tell you're used to doing that, because you're very fast. I wish I would've seen this before I applied mine, but I have to admit mine's only off by half a millimeter which is not a problem for me.

Where are you located? They ship it form Cali, so depending on where you are it might not take 2-3 weeks. I paid for expedited shipping and got in in 3 days.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

10. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

^^ It keeps you warm in the winter and feeds your children 2 meals a day...
    :rolleyes:

Now for a serious answer, if you watch the video you can figure it out.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I did, i just dont get what you are trying to protect with it.

12. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I'm in Houston, just receive an email from them saying its shipped! Will get it this Fri. Mar 6! Can't wait. That was pretty quick! :)

I hope they come out with the palmguard for the 17" unibody soon!

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Aluminum or not, the macbook is going to show grease marks, etc after a while. I personally don't like them on my keyboard or around the trackpad (since the trackpad doesn't seem to be affected the Aluminum MB), thus I purchased the Palm Guard and Clear Guard to keep all the nastiness off my laptop...

Yeah they seem to be pretty snappy with their orders. You're gonna love the Clear Guard. I've washed mine once since i've had it and boy am I glad all that junk was on the Clear Guard instead of my keyboard..

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ah, see theres an answer!

Silly me, I thought it was for scratches, which had me wondering who had wrists of steel.

Thanks for the info, ill consider it for when I get my MB:)

15. S-Man thread starter macrumors regular

S-Man

Wow, small world...I'm in Houston too!

16. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Sorry I thought you were being a smart alec :p

Yeah I guess some people have watches on so I'm sure it helps with that as well.
    I personally hate to have my watch on when i use my MacBook so that's not an issue for me.

I'd say it a pretty good investment if you like to be careful with your stuff. :D

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What doesn't get dirty over time? Just spend 1 - 2 minutes every few months to wipe the palmrest. I always end up dabbing a bit of dish-soap onto a wet paper towel because it cuts through grease well. Then I wipe it with a wet paper towel without soap, and another to dry. It takes a minute, tops. It's not a thorough job, but I find that it stays *visibly" clean for another few months, minimum, and I own the white MacBook. Aluminium MacBooks would take far longer to make them visibly dirty.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No smart alecing from me tonight, too scared of a warning before news:p

Didnt even think of watches either.

And you bet your sweet sweet ass im going to be careful with it, at 1600 and being my first mac, ill protect it with everything ive got!

19. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

Cool! :) Another Mac lover from Houston!

Yup I am also very protective with my electronics. I take extremely good care of them. Call me OCD but that's just how I am. :) As long as it will make me have a good night's rest knowing my sexy apple gear is protected then I am all for it!

Next purchase is some sort of screen protector for those people at my office who love to touch my screen when pointing! They even use pens and pencils to point at my screen, and their sharp nails. Sigh, and then a full body case/shell as well! This way my baby will be protected!

20. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Yeah, but still... even the soap and stuff will start leaving some residue after a while. But yes, I agree that is a solution as well. I just like not having to worry that something will wear thru or leave a permanent mark after a while...
    And like I said, once I saw the kind of crap that the Clear Guard collects... WOW! I was glad I got it.

lol... my thoughts exactly. I've spent a BUTT LOAD of money on accessories for my MacBook.. it's turned me into a Mac Geek!! I spend my time on MacForums, MacHeist and my local iPlace (closest thing to an Apple store in my area). :D

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Now that i come to think of it, werent you rooting for me to save for my macbook in another thread the other day?:p

22. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

The glass screen should be pretty safe against most of that, but still whatever puts your mind at ease :D
    My next purchases will be a 4GB RAM set, and an inCase Hard Shell cover. lol... there goes another 100 bucks!! :cool:

Oh heck yes!! :cool:
    Everybody needs a MacBook lol :p

How are you doing with saving? What's your estimated date of purchase?

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well I have my employer (lady down the street) hold on to half my check and have been since october. I'm not really keeping track that much, but I'm planning on buying after WWDC anyway in case ANY changes are made (price cut/ Fw?). Im not waiting for those potential things, they just coincide with my timeframe for being able to afford it, which is like a no pressure bonus for me:)

So yea, Junish?

24. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

Does incase make a hardshell case for the new 17" unibody MBP though?

25. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Watch? :0