Moshi Palmguard Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by virgomac, Feb 22, 2009.

1. virgomac macrumors member

Has anyone tried to use the black moshi palmguard on the new aluminum macbooks?

My dumb arse, fumble fingered my portable palm drive and it landed square on my palmrest and put a very small ding it in. Its giving my OCD a fit and my eyes just can't seem to stop being drawn to it, so hoping this palmrest would cover it up. Which is why I don't want to use the clear versions.

Baring that, does anyone know how much it would cost to replace the top keyboad/palmrest cover area of the unibody?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its a level 3 repair i think which is $900, but it might be level 2 $600.
    (thats assuming you live in the US)

3. virgomac thread starter macrumors member

WoW, didn't think it would cost that much for a simple case replacement. So, anyone know of any skins that will cover the palm rest that are NOT clear?

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its not such a simple case replacement, being unibody they have to replace the whole keyboard and everything.

http://www.moshimonde.com/palmguard.htm

I think you'll find they arnt clear, they're aluminium colour.

5. virgomac thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I saw the one that were designed for the unibody in a rather close up picture and even with it being "aluminum" in color the matching was horrid.

I think that a black color would look much better. But they say that one won't fit the new unibody. So was just curious how much of a "not" fit it was, or if there was another company out there that offered one that does fit but black.

Idealy, I'd like something like this, but I've no where this can be found for the new unibody.

[​IMG]

6. virgomac thread starter macrumors member

Anyone know of a skin like the one in the above picture that will work with a new unibody macbook?

7. rogair macrumors member

Parts and labour would be around $200-300. Try taking it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

8. windstarfy macrumors member

windstarfy

The one similar looks like the one I was shopping for while for the Macbook cover. It was designed for a Macbook (white) but when they fitted it on a Aluminum Macbook it fitted quite well except that you need to cut the button part off and trim the edges of the trackpad a little.

9. virgomac thread starter macrumors member

Just in case anyone else might be curious, I got in my MacStyles keyboard skin today and applied it. While not perfect, it does a great job of making the small dent seem less noticeable. Not to mention i think it looks quite nice, I'm sure someone out there will disagree though.

Here is a picture of it, I'm sorry the picture is so bad, but you can thank the Iphone and bad lighting for that.

[​IMG]

10. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

I have the aluminum coloured Moshi Palmguard and I like it - the color does match, and it's not as obvious as the OP's solution... but hey, everyone has their own preferences :D

11. virgomac thread starter macrumors member

Would love to see a picture of how yours looks with the Moshi one on it if possible :)

12. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Sure, here are a couple of different images taken on different days. Again - lighting's an issue, oh well. :)

Attached Files: