Mosiac Screensaver question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrmacdude, Nov 2, 2007.

1. mrmacdude macrumors newbie

Firstly, I love this screen saver.
    However, its pulling pictures from my iphoto library to build the images. Can I change this?

2. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

i don't have the answer but i also have the same question! anybody?

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

From where else would it pull the images? Or do you have images on your hard drive that are not in iPhoto (and really, why not have them in iPhoto?)

4. mrmacdude thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, yes. I do have images that are not in iphoto. Also, I want it to pull from SPECIFIC images, not ALL the images. So if it could do one 'playlist' from iphoto that would be acceptable, i guess.

5. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

i guess my question was somewhat different.

i want to pick an event/album to be the baseline picture for the mosaic. but to create the mosaic, pick the pictures from selected events/albums only. not the entire iphoto library.

6. Sayewhat macrumors member

Unless your event has a lot of photos in it, the mosaic may not have enough photos to organize into the new picture.

7. TheStu macrumors 65816

To answer all of your questions, I am not sure about those specifics. It may be possible that there is a file somewhere that controls settings like that, I just don't know where it would be.

8. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

hahaha! you made me laugh with your response dude!

we are looking for the "specifics" :D

9. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

Duh, exactly.

10. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

is the creating mosaic database.. message ever supposed to go away?

11. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

yes, but i have that smae problem... it sucks!

As for the specific file question. Make an album in iphoto and put the pictures you want in there. Then under the screensaver options select that folder. And bam! there you go

12. tomdude07 macrumors newbie

problem

mine says "you must have an iphoto library to use mosaic screen saver" but i have an iphot library....so wuts wrong?

13. kage-chan macrumors newbie

Crashing...

Hi,

I am having problems, too, with the mosaic screen saver... Maybe you guys can help:
    If I select an folder containing about 50-60 pictures in the preview to the right it says "Generating mosaic database" and the blue bar grows quickly to about 90%. Then it stops, and after a while System Preferences just crashes. After that, when I start the screen saver tries to start, but keeps crashing, meaning that it is unable to start.
    Any suggestions/ideas on how to fix this?

Hardware is a MBP 2.2 (SantaRosa)

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

14. kage-chan macrumors newbie

Hi,

Solution for my Problem:
    Make sure your iPhoto Library is not corrupted/broken. If you have restored the library from an backup, start iPhoto once before trying to set the screensaver.
    If that does not help, delete the file com.apple.screensaver.<somenum>.plist in ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost

That should do the trick in any case. Now reconfigure the screensaver and enjoy it :)

Sorry to the original poster that this is of no help to you. But I thought I'd post it anyway, so people experiencing the same problem as I did can get the issue resolved ;)

Edit: Forgot to add:
    WARNING!!! After deleting the above file, you will have to reenable the password promt for waking the computer from screensaver/sleep again in the security pane in system preferences!

Daniel

15. rosh325 macrumors regular

Maybe I'm missing something, but I know on my MBP when I go to screen savers, I see individual "event" playlists. By choosing one of these (instead of the photo library) option, it will only pull photos from the event.

16. RogerJohnsen macrumors newbie

Same Problem - Solved!

Kage-chan - I was having the exact same problem. Thanks for your advice as it fixed my issue as well.

17. greggsewell macrumors newbie

1. Collect the pictures you want into a folder. Copy from iPhoto or wherever.

2. Make note of where the folder is saved.

3. Select Apple menu > System Preferences.

4. Click the Desktop & Screen Saver icon.

5. Click the Screen Saver tab.

6. Scroll to Choose Folder...

7. Click this item in the Screen Savers list.

8. Navigate to the folder of pictures you created.

9. Click the folder once in the open dialog.

10. Click the Choose button.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy.

18. FREERICHAPUZZO macrumors newbie

FREERICHAPUZZO

(Dated response)

Because iPhoto is terrible.

19. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

I was just about to say this! It's so simple how could everybody else miss it?!

And I had the 'creating database' message, but I turned the mosaic off and on again then it went away.

20. Garvio macrumors newbie

Mosaic problem

I've been using the Mosaic screen saver ever since I upgraded to Leopard. It has been working flawlessly. Yesterday, I finally received my Nvidia Geforce 8800GT graphics card for my Mac Pro. I installed the card without any problems and everything works fine except for the mosaic screensaver. As the image zooms out to create the next image, the screen flashes white, just as it is about to dissolve to the image it is creating. Could this be a problem with the Nvidia card or is there something else that may a been corrupted. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas.

21. MaddMacs macrumors 6502

Aperture 2 tweaked my screen saver settings

My problem is different. When I upgraded to 2.0 it tweaked my screen saver. Now I have a folder ( with triangle on the left) that says Aperture where I can access my photos, but the folder that supposed to say "Choose Folder" is gone and I have a duplicate folder that says Aperture (with a triangle) and it is unresponsive. Now I cant use just any folder I want with photos in it. I have to use the only Aperature option. Why does Apple have to tweak everything unitl it is broken? Cant they issue an update with fixes with out breaking something else???!!!!:mad:

22. gunst macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue, though on my imac. Garvio - where you able to isolate the issue and/or fix it?

23. Garvio macrumors newbie

Hello. I solved my Mosaic screen saver problem by removing one of my Graphics cards. I use a Mac Pro and for some reason it didn't like using 3 separate graphics cards. When I scaled back to 2 cards my problems went away. Sorry I can't help any more.