Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramallite

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
Greensboro
What about the dreaded “hot spot,” a seam at the lower left of the external antenna where the cellular radio is connected to the external portion of the antenna? In my experience, deliberately touching that spot can, indeed, make the bars fall, from say, three to one. But, sometimes, it actually makes the bars rise. In general, I’d say it makes the bars fluctuate.

That's a new one - touching the black band can make the bars go up?? That's quite ridiculous....I imagine he must have been stroking it or something. Otherwise, I agree, it's a pretty good review.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Nice article. Seems pretty unbiased. It's unfortunate that an article about a smartphone has to focus mostly on its call reception rather than its awesome features. Maybe over the next few years Apple will figure this phone thing out.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
That's a new one - touching the black band can make the bars go up?? That's quite ridiculous....I imagine he must have been stroking it or something. Otherwise, I agree, it's a pretty good review.

Anyone that doesn't get it yet is completely dense.

In a good signal area, you won't notice a big difference (or any at all) of signal loss, even if the "bars" drop a bit.

In a mediocre to low signal area, you can literally make web pages stop loading and drop your 3G or E data just by touching the hash mark in the frame. Can't tell you how many saved speed tests I have on the phone, in the same location, within 2 minutes from each other of the data speeds being GREATLY different. I'll hang on to these in case in the near future Apple happens to do a hardware revision and they ask for proof of my signal attenuation. :)

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Not a big Mossberg fan, but I mostly agree with this review. It was pretty well written and unbiased. In the past he has seemed too apple biased at times to me, yet if you look at the comments there are already some people blasting him calling him anti-apple. :rolleyes:

ramallite

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
Greensboro
Anyone that doesn't get it yet is completely dense.

In a good signal area, you won't notice a big difference (or any at all) of signal loss, even if the "bars" drop a bit.

In a mediocre to low signal area, you can literally make web pages stop loading and drop your 3G or E data just by touching the hash mark in the frame.

Yes yes but this is the first time that I can tell that anybody claimed that the bars actually go up when touching/covering the black band - regardless of what that does (or doesn't do) to the call quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.