Mossberg's Early iPhone Impressions

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Walt Mossberg picked up his review iPhone yesterday according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

During a speech, Mossberg pulled the phone from his pocket:
"I don’t know whether I’ll give it a good review or not," he said, noting that he will use the phone for the next couple of weeks before writing his review. "I can already see some things I don’t like about it. I see some other things that I do like a lot about it."
He felt that the key aspect of it was whether or not the iPhone's touch screen keyboard would be an adequate replacement for traditional keypads. His first impression is that "it works a little better than I thought, but I’m still not sure it works as well as a regular keyboard -- and the first hour is not a very fair test, so I’m going to keep going at it."

Mossberg's full review will likely come on June 29th, the day the iPhone will be publicly available.

BKF

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Just knowing that there are iPhones already out in the wild (even if only in reviewers' hands) makes me a little jittery.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
If Walt gives it a bad review we're in trouble; he's generally very pro-Apple. Could be interesting.
you read my mind... like how he apologized and dribbled over Steve during the interview at D, saying "i'm sorry... I didn't think about your feelings".

That being said, it will be nice for him to have the phone for an extended period. To this point, people have only had minutes (if that) with the phone.

ChampagneBob

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2007
Touch Keyboard Takes Some Time..

We already know that the touch keyborad takes some getting used to, so time is an important factor for many.

On the other hand, many don't like the present keyboard set up on existing phones and may readily adapt to the touch screen easily....we'll see what is functional for both groups.

:confused:

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
I've never used the tiny keyboards on smartphones, so i figure my learning curve will be not so steep. Just getting used to the "iPhone way" and thats it.

For those used to a conventional small keyboard, it may be more difficult, but most likely people will learn to love it.

sfoalex

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2001
If Walt gives it a bad review we're in trouble; he's generally very pro-Apple. Could be interesting.
What do you mean exactly when you say, "we're in trouble"? This is Apple, not you. It's their phone, and you're just a potential customer. Unless you're a stock holder, but even then, you have so much more to worry about than a koolaid drinking fan-boy fake reviewer like Mossberg. When has he ever been anything but a supporter?

Best,

Alex

everyman

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2003
During Walt's interview with Steve Jobs recently, he expressed his nervousness to Steve about the lack of a real keyboard. Steve told him to give it a week, and he'd never go back. If I remember, correctly, I think he guaranteed it. Apparently, there is a learning curve, as with anything new. Steve was very reassuring and extremely confident in terms of how much better this aspect of iPhone performs than what we are all used to. I rememer, that this was Mossberg's chief concern, so it doesn't surprise me he'd be fumbling a bit with it at first.
I just can't imagine that Apple approached the user experience of it's iPhone multi-touch as applied to typing on it, with anything less than its usual brilliance. It seems too much of a major feature of the iPhone. Apple knew they had to nail it. It just will require everybody to rethink how they type on a phone for a little while until they get used to it.
I bet it takes Mossberg a little longer, because he has a skeptical mind on this issue. But he'll come around. :) That's my take on it, anyway. I hope I'm right.

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex, UK
What do you mean exactly when you say, "we're in trouble"? This is Apple, not you. It's their phone, and you're just a potential customer. Unless you're a stock holder, but even then, you have so much more to worry about than a koolaid drinking fan-boy fake reviewer like Mossberg. When has he ever been anything but a supporter?

Best,

Alex
my my my aren't we on a high horse?

nehu, walt will never give it a bad review, i think he is in the erm...wrong age group to really appreciate the cool factor of the iphone though so i guess we'll see. and i dont mean the age thing in a bad way or to be offensive!

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England

Best,

Alex
Point taken. I'm not a shareholder (I wish!), so I guess that makes me a fanboy :p

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
it'd be nice if there was an option to mimic traditional t9 typing, if people found the qwerty keyboard too squished... having 9 keys to type the t9 way would probably be easier for people with big fingers.

im sure the qwerty touch screen keyboard will be fine after some adjusting, but options are always nice for the easily frustrated/ones who dont like big changes

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Don't worry

Don't worry Walt, when you look at the competition it will grow on you.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
What do you mean exactly when you say, "we're in trouble"? This is Apple, not you. It's their phone, and you're just a potential customer. Unless you're a stock holder, but even then, you have so much more to worry about than a koolaid drinking fan-boy fake reviewer like Mossberg. When has he ever been anything but a supporter? Best, Alex
Easy there, it's just a casual comment. I'm not sure it needs to be dissected to this degree.

mudaudio

macrumors member
May 15, 2007
If I were a cynic, I'd say this is clever PR.

Get some media heavyweight to position the keyboard as a 'possible flaw', then later come around saying 'boy how wrong was I?'. People would think 'wow, he doubted it just like me, but now he loves it!.

Or maybe he's just telling the truth. That would be nice!

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
My concern with the keyboard is the same with all devices, which is the size. I have big hands, the kind where I can cup a basketball. Little devices are problematic. I was hoping you could use the keyboard in widescreen view, but I think that's wishful thinking.

nospleen

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I am the biggest fan boy out there. But, I have to say, the keyboard is going to suck. No, I have not used one, blah, blah... But, even the VP of iPhone software couldn't type on the damn thing. He blamed it on nerves, lol.

I do think it will be the best virtual keyboard on the market, but still not as good as the plastic keyboards.

But, I will be in line to get one because the rest of the features are just too damned awesome.

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex, UK
If I were a cynic, I'd say this is clever PR.

Get some media heavyweight to position the keyboard as a 'possible flaw', then later come around saying 'boy how wrong was I?'. People would think 'wow, he doubted it just like me, but now he loves it!.

Or maybe he's just telling the truth. That would be nice!
aaaahh, this seems highly likely!

sfoalex

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2001
Easy there, it's just a casual comment. I'm not sure it needs to be dissected to this degree.
Oh I'm not upset or anything. I would just rather read reviews from folks that can make up their own mind, and aren't on the take. What's the point of reading these reviews when they are always the same?

Best,

Alex

dantehicks42

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2007
does anybody really think a bad review could even hurt the iphone launch?
My guess is, there are going to be many bad reviews of that product. Some will be valid (function wise, responsiveness,...), some will be hate reviews cause it's apple.

I don't think initial bad reviews will hinder the iPhone launch, however if the bad reviews persist, it will definitely have a negative impact, in more than one way.

Apple is gambling a lot in investing all their efforts in this new product. Safari on windows is a good example. All to assure custom apps to run perfectly on iPhone and develop a relationship with windows users (itunes + web) the 2 main functions of the iPhone.

I wish them luck and I hope their product is as solid as they suggest for their sake. However, with Apple's way of doing things lately, I think it's gonna be a disappointment.

Still crossing my fingers.

williedigital

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2005
it'd be nice if there was an option to mimic traditional t9 typing, if people found the qwerty keyboard too squished... having 9 keys to type the t9 way would probably be easier for people with big fingers.

im sure the qwerty touch screen keyboard will be fine after some adjusting, but options are always nice for the easily frustrated/ones who dont like big changes
Exactly, most people just text with one hand while they are holding the phone. I think the fact that you have to use both hands to type on the iphone might be a big issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.