Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
atari1356 said:
I agree mostly, but as far as making it possible for everyone to have a computer on their desk... some would say the same about the Atari 400/800 computers or the Commodore 64. I can think of far more people that had an Atari or Commodore at home than I can of people with Apple II's.

Besides, the thread is titled "Most advanced Mac ever"... and the Apple II was not a Mac. :D

Hehe, excellent point, the Apple II is indeed not a Mac.

And I admit, I remember seeing Apple IIs much more often at schools than I did in homes. In our House we had an IBM PCjr, which, despite its awful reputation, actually served us quite well. When my dad went to buy a computer for the first time, He had to choose between the mac 512k and the PCjr, and he went with the IBM. It took 20 years, but I see the light now! ;)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
My vote would be for System 7.1 coupled with the Quadra line/1st gen Powermacs - fast, stable machines with industrial design years ahead of the PC at the time.

Apple has ALWAYS been tops in terms of design so runners up would be the Powerbook 100 series, the original (1984) all-in-ones, the Powerbook Duo series, the 20th Anniverary, the eMate (remember that?) and Newton, the Cube, and the Mac mini.

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
Well, apart from the obvious (the original mac), I'd have to say the furthest ahead the mac world has been (as far as sheer processing power) was some time during the reign of the 604e, which were literally pentium crushing machines. That was right about when Intel really began pushing their megahertz rating of their chips, and demanding that it made all the difference.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
a mac that hasn't been build is a good answer, so is the first mac introduced, but for me I think the most advanced is the MP, TAM and the Cube. all basiclly failed, way to advanced for the time in the market imo. Probably the newton too.. but it isn't a mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.