Most Amazing Thing about the 2012 MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bizack, Jun 13, 2012.

1. bizack macrumors 6502

Believe it or not, it's the fan. The PR about the asymmetrical fan and a broad frequency spectrum sounds like BS, but it's not. You either never hear the fan at all, or if you do, it's _barely_ noticeable.

Second on the list is battery life. It's a lot better. Probably related to better power management and the upgraded CPU. But I can actually get ~5 hours out of my new 11" MacBook Air. Previously I'd get 3.5 hours max. I have the maxed out configuration (although the SSD is 256).

2. glen e macrumors 68030

Very cool, How come you have one so quick? On their pro staff program or whatever they call their pilot guys?

3. bizack, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

bizack thread starter macrumors 6502

I live in SF and am attending the WWDC. The SF Apple Store is right up the street from the WWDC. Apple probably knew every Apple nerd would be flocking there, and stocked up on custom builds (I actually use this as my primary development machine).

4. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Nice! I wonder if that means the 13" Air now actually does get the 7 hours of usage. I am only getting around 5 hours out of mine (and always have), which is the 2011 model.

Actually, part of my decision was driven because the 11" only got around 3 hours (and I returned it) of usage, so this might actually make me reconsider going with the 11" again. Hmmm.. Oh well, nothing will happen until the Air gets a retina anyway!

I had no idea the fan technology also applied to the airs. They kind of made it sound like it was only for the Pros. But I am glad its there.

Edit: Saberon pointed out only the MBP has the fans. Oh well! Maybe the better power management on the new Airs means the fans don't have to kick into full gear as much.

5. Saberon macrumors 6502a

6. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

read step 12

be nice next time.
    OP is correct

7. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I completely agree. It's one of those things that makes this a big upgrade, even for 2011 users.

Thanks for the update on battery life. I was wondering how improved the battery on the 11" would be with all this and Ivy Bridge.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's somewhat applied, but not exactly the same as in the MBP-RD. From iFixIt.com:

9. bizack thread starter macrumors 6502

I know a lot of people both on here and in various tech blogs are calling this a minor update. Superficially, yes. But when you use the machine it's noticeably faster, noticeably quieter, better battery life, and the 8GB of RAM is awesome (I use Xcode and other dev tools a lot). I sold my 2011 for the 2012 model and have no regrets.

Now only if Apple released a 13" MacBook Pro "Air"...

10. KPOM macrumors G5

It's quieter than the 2011, but when the fan gets going, it is still noticeable. My guess is that the Pro got more of a redesign than simply the asymmetrical fan.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it did, with new vents and other changes.

12. jksu macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

great news re: battery life!

why didn't apple boost the advertised battery life to at least recognize the improvement?

13. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Nice. Anyone else seeing this??

14. Bremel macrumors newbie

Maybe because the 2011 Airs didn't really get the 7 hours they advertised.
    Would be a bit strange to say: I know we said this last year as well, but now it's actually true! :)

15. Tritons macrumors 6502

And what about Macbook Pro (not-retina) 15''. Does it have this fan as well?

16. Ptdr macrumors member

On the top of these, we also have USB3 and the screen resolution is improved :)
    (Many people were complaining about the crap screen resolution on the macbook air..)

17. palpatine macrumors 68040

I am not seeing an improvement. Maybe it depends on your usage. I am getting about 5 hours, as advertised.

The fans? Wonderful. This thing is absolutely silent. I love it.

18. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

how has the screen res been improved on the air???

19. applefan022 macrumors 6502

I must say coming from the last years model MBA 11" the battery life on the new 11" are much better. I can just about get the 5 hours that they say unlike last years model i was getting like 3.5 hours.! Thank you Ivy Bridge!:apple:

20. snapper64 macrumors regular

Do you use it with an external monitor at all?

21. Jobsian macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

To me, this is the huge news. Especially seeing you have the Ivy i7. Massive news.

22. mikeytrend, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

mikeytrend macrumors member

Wow, I didn't know they added the asymmetrical fans to the MBAs as well! I thought it was just a RMBP feature. Awesome!

EDIT: See post #9. Thanks GGJ

I'm sure with the smaller fans they had to prioritize moving air over quietness. I'm guessing asymmetrical fans aren't as good at dispersing heat, which would be why they went with the asymmetrical design, but on a lesser scale.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They're somewhat asymmetrical, but not as much as the MBP-RD. See post #9.

24. RobbyIdol macrumors regular

This thread has cemented my decision to buy the new 11" Air! Thanks to all who updated us on the improved battery life!