Most compatible PC laptop to run OSX ??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brasiliangringo, Aug 24, 2010.

1. brasiliangringo macrumors regular

Hi, what is the most hardware compatible PC laptop out there which I can install OSX on - any experience appreciated?

There is a site which has compiled a list of compatible netbooks (re hardware) but it does not extend to larger +15 inch laptops etc..

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

In addition, you can't just pop in an osx install disk on a PC and expect it to install as easily as Windows. It can be a messy job to get it to work and fool around with settings and such. If you are not comfortable troubleshooting osx and windows it's a waste of time to try.

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the reason why there is no list is many people are not bothered to go through the hassle of getting osx to work on a laptop ,
    they get a MacBook or MacBook pro if they want a powerful osx laptop

the netbooks are so "popular" because they started before apple brought the iPad ,and they are still popular despite the iPad , because you can run exact the same apps as on your main Mac and the iPad is not really a powerful thing compared to a netbook and has a big drawback and that is ...no keyboard apart from this on screen one that blocks the view on things you want to write but cost double the money
    people did want a small device to just have about for going in the garden or on holidays or so and even a macbook cost a lot of money for a device which most dont use as their main computer

or people like myself who looked for a iBook again or powerbook G4 for sitting on the terrace in the garden and simply could not find one in a condition that would justify paying the price asked on ebay ( most scratched ,dented and cracked with nearly dead batteries and broken chargers, no original install disc's,.......... , for more then a netbook costs )

4. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

This isn't the best place to ask for Hackintosh advice TBO. You'd have to be thinking "INSANELY" to install "MAC" on a laptop... perhaps Google will show you the way... (/shiftyeyes)

5. seb-opp macrumors 6502

If you're looking to get a mac on the cheap and have some technical know-how, you could try building one out of several damaged macbooks.

I read an article about a guy who bought a macbook with a broken screen, then bought another macbook with some other dead components, but a working screen, and mated the two working halves together to create a new mac. Best bit was, one was a white macbook and the other was black, so it actually looked like a hybrid!

Obviously that could be too much for some people, but there's lots of guides online for replacing components so it could be a fun project if you have some experience with electronics.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

I think the reason you build a "Hackintosh" is not to save money. If you want to save money simply buy a used macbook. The only good reason is because you want something Apple does not offer.

7. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Question we need to ask is: Why do you want a 15 inch hackintosh laptop?

i admit i built a Dell Mini 9 netbook into a hackintosh a year ago and learned the ins and outs of it. It was an interesting experiment but in the end i came to the following conclusion: Its really not worth the effort, theres always going to be some bit of hardware that doesnt work as it should and you can spend a long time getting it working. Afterwards you can't guarantee that the next software update from Apple isnt going to break the whole thing and i was stuck using 10.5.7 - until i eventually sold it and got an iPad :D

i agree with most people here, if you want a cheap Mac experience you may be best buying a used/fixer-upper on the cheap, or failing that buying a Windows laptop and running another OS if necessary e.g. Ubuntu

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Lol. Hopefully the OP picked up on your hint ;)

9. dal20402 macrumors 6502

Not always true, although the difference is not as extreme in the laptop world.

I have a Core i7 desktop Hackintosh with many extra goodies, which cost a total of about $1850. To get a Mac Pro with roughly equivalent performance, I'd have to buy the 4-core 3.2 GHz model and then add several disks and lots of RAM aftermarket. The total cost would be around $3600.

It would look nicer and be quieter, but not $1750 worth of either one. The install was a pain in the rear but, once everything was installed, the machine works as well as a factory Mac.

The only used Mac Pro in my price range would have been a 2006 model, which would have had severe limitations compared to the system I ended up buying.

10. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

The best OS X compatible Personal Computers are the MacBook and MacBook Pro series of Notebooks ;)

11. seb-opp macrumors 6502

I was assuming the OP wanted something cheap because he/she is not prepared to buy a MB/MBP. So I suggested putting one together from broken macs as usually broken ones sell for much less than working ones.

But when it comes to installing OS X on other laptops, surely you have a very limited range as only a handful of components have drivers for OS X compared to Windows? so if it was possible, wouldn't the laptop have to have almost the same internals to an MBP? or are there more options than that? I don't know :confused: