Most Consecutive hours one can work?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BigPrince, Dec 28, 2007.

1. BigPrince macrumors 68020

My record for most consecutive hours worked in a day is 18 hours.

My question is what is the most consecutive hours one can work legally when not operating any machinery.

I work in IT. My work is having a major project over Martin Luther King Day weekend. Its going to be very tough to get accomplished over that three day period. MLK is a triple time holiday for us, so I want to work all 24 hours that day. Sunday is double time, so I want to work 18-24 hours that day as well.

I am looking to do at least 36 hours consecutive hours with the breakfast, lunch and dinner breaks.

I looked around but cannot find anything relevant to max hours.

2. termina3 macrumors 65816

To my knowledge, there are no laws preventing you from working super-overtime so long as it does not have the potential to harm others (truck drivers come to mind). That is, as long as you are being paid overtime.

Of course, I'd think the quality of work would degrade, but you know better than I.

3. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

Ya, I am crazy. We have to move 14 computer labs (25-30 computers each) located in two buildings on different floors to a new building with different floors with one elevator in each building. And the one building does not have a paved path to the other. We then have to have them powered, networked, and cable managed.

So while the work may slow down, this is more like manual then mind using.

Plus its hard to get triple time holidays approved. So I am excited.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That ^^ does not sound like fun at all -- even with the overtime pay.

5. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

I have some pretty cool co-workers and we have an awesome dynamic. We will be cracking jokes all night long to keep us going.

6. termina3 macrumors 65816

I hope you're being well paid. Like $100+/hr well paid.

(don't feel obligated to confirm/deny)

7. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

It depends on country, and even then it's usually not decided at the federal level.

8. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

my max is 20 straight and over a week averaged 17.

then again this was working on oil drilling rigs and wells. you dont leave until the job is done pretty much. entailed sleeping in trucks on site

quite the job. both mentally and physically exhausting. when stuff goes wrong its scary

also worked 15 days straight and got 2 off. that was my schedule over the summer. regardless i made bank

10. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

No, unfortunately its a school district, not the corporate world. Around here schools do not pay the IT staff well. But there are some nice perks. Full health care (regular, vision, and dental) @ no cost. They pay for some college. Paid holidays. There are some other nice perks, but those are the most $ ones. Being 19 years old and a full time student, I am very happy with it.

Incase anyone is wondering the school just expanded and built a new three story addition. So we have gone from a 2 building campus to a three building campus. Everything is temporarily being moved to this new section while the one building is demolished and rebuilt and the other renovated.

I am located in the USA in the state of Pennsylvania.

11. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Im MD but also do some science. I can go 24h but than im really wasted:eek:

12. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I think the legal limit here is three consecutive "normal" shifts.

Nurses I know can work 36 hours. three 12 hour shifts.

me personally, I have worked a few weekend shifts where I just slept on cot in lab while the samples ran.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Productively, my limit is about one and a half.

14. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

If anyone could site anything let me know. I know medical residents put in in excess of 100 hours a week!

15. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I believe it varies by state for non-hourly or exempt employees. There are also specific laws in some states that apply to specific jobs such as medical care. I've worked about 32 hours straight with just about 2 hour off for a meal and to see my family :)

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Same here.

But that's minutes :D

17. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Looks like I underestimated both of you. :p

18. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Be aware - that your company might have a policy about maximum shift-time. (completely forgetting about Federal and State issues)

I wasn't aware that my old company did - I worked for 2 days straight (went home to shower after 24 hours - then back to work).

My immediate boss / program were hugely grateful - as we made contract b/c of this.

But he got in deep (@*$ when Payroll / HR caught wind of it. Then I got a good talking to from several layers of people.

But, the OT / contract bonuses were niiiiiice. In spite of it all.

Edit: Oh yeah - insomnia and caffeine can work wonders sometimes.

19. David G. macrumors 6502a

Minutes! That kind of pushing it isn't it? I'm only good for 1 and a half seconds.:( Typing this post required an insane amount of focus. Gotta go and do something else now. Sarcasm

20. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

I cannot find anything in our contract limiting the hours other then we cannot be forced to work overtime.

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think the limit for most jobs (there're a lot of exceptions) in Australia is five hours before a half hour break is required.

22. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

We will be taking our normal meal breaks. I am wanted to know how long I can work before I need to be off for 12 hours or something like that.

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It really depends on the state you live in. There are certain times when there are "special" exceptions (for example, when the MacArthur Maze collapsed out here in CA). Knowing your state would really help.
    Yeah, CA has that too. For every 3.5 hours you must have one 15 minute rest break and for every 5 hours you must have at least half an hour of lunch.
    Again, your state would really help. :)

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Of course, anyone who asks for a break after five hours is a sissyboy and should be made to wear a tutu.