Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
What is your least favorite mac apple made?

Mine: Powerbook 150.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, I love pretty much all Macs, but I suppose the G3 Clamshell iBooks were the ugliest. Although, some of those mid-90s beige things were pretty horrible. Still much better than the competition though. :p

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
The new iMac's, don't get me wrong there great looking computers in which im considering purchasing, however i loved the G4 models.

That iMac G4 commerical is classic :D

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
DeSnousa said:
The new iMac's, don't get me wrong there great looking computers in which im considering purchasing, however i loved the G4 models.

That iMac G4 commerical is classic :D

Agreed! I was set to buy a 20" g4 iMac and then they went and released those horrible g5! I wouldn't let one of those in my home!...ok that's a bit dramatic but you get the point :p

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I thought the same about the G5 iMacs when they first came out but I went and bought one a few months ago anyway because I needed (a little more desire-based than need-based :p ) a fast desktop. You learn to forgive them.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
I'm not a fan of the 800/840/8100/8500 case design. It is one of the worse cases to have to service.

I also don't much like the design (from a service point of view) of any of the iBooks. There was no (good) reason to make them that hard to service other than to keep people from upgrading.

I also thought the Classic II was a really poor replacement for the SE/30. The SE/30 was a great system that had the ability to be expanded well beyond it's default configuration.

By comparison, the Classic II was crippled. Ultra low RAM ceiling (10 MB), FPU was not standard, 16 bit data path rather than 32 bit (which made them much slower than the SE/30 even though both systems were running 68030 processors at 16 MHz), and no processor direct slot (or expansion slots of any type for that matter).

At any rate, those were my choices.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
eMac and colored clamshell iBooks. I don't know why about the clamshells, I actually think they were okay as machines but the design was soooo 90's or something.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I'd have to go with mid-90s beige designs. The original iMac started a very good change in design for Apple. They had some good designs before that (original Mac, TAM, etc), but they had more really generic ugly computers.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
I never really saw a Mac I hated. All the Macs that were crappy were made during the time I moved away from Macs. At least it would seem that way.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
powermac g5
i still maintain that its a bulletholed ugly monolith. it just seems like they found a huge supply of sheet metal and cut out templates for a pc, added handles (at the wrong angle!!!!) and covered it in holes to fix a heat problem.

imac g5
im with the others here-- i dont hate it, but i love the g4. i still play with the screen height and angle every time i go to my grandmas house out of sheer nostalgia.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
chaos86 said:
powermac g5
i still maintain that its a bulletholed ugly monolith. it just seems like they found a huge supply of sheet metal and cut out templates for a pc, added handles (at the wrong angle!!!!) and covered it in holes to fix a heat problem.
I much prefer the look of the MDDs - and that's not just because I have one. The G5s maybe quieter, cooler and better designed internally but do they really have to be that big?

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Hm, I don't hate them, but from the look I don't like the black G3 powerbooks. They had nice details but in general looked very pc style. I sure hope they don't use black again with the mactels. Silver or white is far more elegant and different from other laptops. Don't know, black metal could look nice, but plack plastic, ugh.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
callan said:
I dislike my eMac every time I have to move the damn thing! Whats in it? Concrete?!?!? :)

I know what you mean, but I don't think it was designed with portability in mind (despite the handle).

callan

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2005
Leicester UK
Jay42 said:
I know what you mean, but I don't think it was designed with portability in mind (despite the handle).

Some portability would be nice though! I like the fact that if my flat were robbed they'd probably leave it behind. Who's gonna run down the street with one of those babies!! :D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Probably the LPX-40, since it was the first Mac I saw specs on to have all the PC stuff on it.

Basically a PowerMac 6400 with all the PC I/O (PS2 keyboard and mouse, PC MFM floppy, ATA CDROM instead of SCSI, etc), EDO memory, and shaped to fit in a PC case.

Shades of a recent announcement. :eek:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Gotta be the PowerMac 4400. Ugh. A case not even a mother could love. I've seen worse PCs, but for Apple this is about the low point IMO. Sure, you might consider the weirdo iMac colors garish, but I can see how some 14-year-old girl would want flowers on her computer. I think the cheap and boring cases of the 90s are worse.

4400.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.