Most durable headphone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Revomonster, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Revomonster macrumors regular

Revomonster

I am looking around to buy the most durable and tough pair of headphones that will work with both my mac and my ipod touch third gen ipod touch. In the past two years I have gone through about fifteen pairs of headphones, both cheap and mid range, and expensive. All of them have not worked for more than about three months. Do any of your guys on this forum know of a brand of headphones or something that will last for a long time or has a lifetime warranty on it or something? I am looking for something with the price range up to 80 dollars and down.

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Keep an eye on them on Amazon.com I just got a pair of Shure and I noticed the prices goes up and down. They look pretty sturdy. I'm not a heavy abuser on my gadgets but these seem to be well made.

Shure is coming out with a pair of SE215 in the spring around your price range.

check in the accessories section there are a couple of threads there.

3. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Get bose, Shure is also a good brand, had 400$ pair, forgot which model and dogs chewed it up haha. Right now im using Bose Quiet Comfort 15s and they are great and very durable, but they are over ear headphones and i dont know if you would prefer in ear.

As for the 80$ and below, i am not sure. Good luck with finding some. I payed 330$ for my bose. Apple Does have some in ear for 79$ and i hear they sound decent. If they break you can just keep taking them to the apple store.

4. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Stop trying to make one pair of earphones last forever. What you described sounds to me like you really give your earphones a beating, so what I will suggest to you is: Get 10 pairs of these (for less than the 80 bucks you established as a limit) and go trough all of them. Each pair should last a couple of months for you (and that's 20 to 30 months in total, from 2 to 3 years)

They sound great (IMHO) a little heavy on the bass, but great nonetheless; and also, they are great for isolating the noise

5. Revomonster thread starter macrumors regular

Revomonster

I do not want to just buy many cheap pairs, because I need the best quality of music that I can get for that price. I am an audiofile. I have amazing speakers, but I need earbuds for the time when I am working and when I need music on the go. That is why I prefer more expensive earbuds. I had the Bose earbuds that you can get at target that cost $100, but they broke after two months and then I had to replace them, and I had to replace them twice in the one year warranty that the manufacturer allows.

6. elan123 macrumors 6502

What the heck do you do with your headphones? floss your teeth?

7. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

If you don't mind In Ear earphones, then I can recommend the Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10 to you. The In Ears itself are highly durable (and huge in comparison to the common IE headphone from Apple) and with the interchangeable cushions SML they fit into every ear. A welcome feature is that you can replace the cables if they break (or are to short/long). The headphones plug is not that well engineered and therefor #1 cause to replace the cable because of a cable breakage. (The new cables come with a angle plug so this problem seems to be solved.)

They are quite expensive but the best sounding In Ears you can get in their price range. They utilize the same internals as the UE 10 Pro Custom fit IEs.

Check them out and you wont regret it.

I also use them as IEM for live music and am very happy with my purchase.

8. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

good question:D if i were you i would get some headphones made of heavy metal

they should last for a while

9. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

I use these.

Good headphones sounds amazing, no wire to break, rechargeable. perfect for me as all i do is walk around, ride dirt bikes and walk my two springer spaniels.
    Very well built too, Looking at them, I can't see how they would break if they were too.

10. rkw0211 macrumors regular

I have the same problem. I had a pair of Sony's that lasted a really long time and they were only $20.

11. What r ye doing macrumors newbie

I know skullcandy arent the best ( so some say) believe they have a model which have a thick wire covered by metal. I think there the FMJ model.

12. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Klipsch S4 or S4i really good! i have the S4i one and it comes with a mic(no mic on S4), best one so far! have been using it for over a year!

13. transmaster, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

OK You Asked, Ultimate Ears

Here are the best ear-bud type earphones, or as this outfit calls them ear monitors, that money can buy, seriously. They are custom fitted by an audiologist just like hearing aids. Used by major touring acts. Such as Al Jarreau, Alabama, Alex Van Halen, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith.

http://ultimateears.com/en-us

Forget Shure, Forget Bose, if You want the very best these are what you want. Being a musician myself I have handled them, and talked to people who use them they tell me they are unlike anything else, sound great, comfortable even after hours of use on a hot stage, making it possible to play in an environment of impossible sound levels. They are completely repairable.