Most economical way to run Windows and Office?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kylera, Nov 29, 2014.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

A while ago, I transferred schools, and recently, my licenses for Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2013, which I got from my old school, expired.

I don't have heavy needs for Office; I rely a fair bit on tracking changes and non-Roman alphabet documents. Office 2011 is horrible with rendering Korean text and I deal with Korean .doc files on a semi-regular basis (about once a month on average). I use PowerPoint only when I need to do a group presentation in Korean, and the number of times I deal with an Excel file per year can be counted on one hand.

I have access to a spare product key for Office 2010 Home courtesy of the family pack, and I believe I can get a copy of Windows 8.1 Embedded through Dreamspark.

As for options, here's what I thought of so far.

- Download a modern.ie image for VirtualBox and use snapshots to restore it once I can't /rearm, and install Office 2010
    - Get Windows 8.1 from Dreamspark and install Office 2010 on Boot Camp
    - Continue using my deactivated copies as is via Boot Camp or VMWare/Parallels
    - Subscribe to a cloud service akin to CloudOn. The service I have access to here in Korea costs $16 a month, and the specs are as follows: 2 vCPU, 2GB RAM,50GB storage, unlimited bandwidth, Windows Server 2008 R2 in a Windows 7 theme, and a full copy of Microsoft Office 2010, and I can access this with any device I have
    - Buy a $200 8-inch tablet that has a copy of Office 2013 and remote access it locally

Anything else I am missing or any advice?

2. pedromcm.pm macrumors 6502

If you have access to a ISO copy of windows, and a key to office, why not use bootcamp? Maximum performance, 0 headache, 0 cost.

3. JackieInCo macrumors 601

There is no better way to do this than Bootcamp.

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

You don't need maximum performance to simply run Office. VirtualBox doesn't cost anything and would be sufficient if all you need Windows for is that single application.