Most efficient SATA/Ram config for 2008 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by unlokia, Sep 15, 2008.

1. unlokia macrumors regular

Hi there. I am getting heavily into 3D animation and modelling, and as such have purchased a 2.8Ghz 2008 Mac Pro 8-core.

I currently have raid-0 my two 320Gb hard disks; I know it's not very secure, but I'm just in the setting up phase right now, so that doesn't matter.

My question is this; is there a MASSIVE performance increase, when upgrading from the stock 2x1Gb FBDIMM sticks, to, say 16Gb in 2Gb sticks, or 32Gb in 4Gb sticks?. What is most noticable??.

Finally, what raid configuration is optimal for both speed and peace of mind?.

Thanks people.

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Only if you can utilize it. Best to buy 2x2GB sticks at a time and see how you get on. Chances are if you don't know if you need 16GB or 32GB you don't.

RAID 10 is both optimal and has extra speed. You will need to use all 4 drive slots though.

3. unlokia thread starter macrumors regular

That's a bizarre comment. A bit like saying if you don't know if you need medicine or not, then you don't. Fact is I DO, but I'm asking the question here "how much". You need a LOT of ram for rendering 3D models, believe me. Thanks for your help! :)

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

6GB is a LOT of RAM. There are a lot of people who come on here asking how much more memory they should buy and tend to get 4x2GB as it is cheap, but the reality is most of them won't utilize anywhere near that and really have no idea on memory usage so I don't feel my comment is bizarre.

You're asking should you go with 16GB or 32GB, well that is a huge difference and when needing those amounts I'd expect someone to have a reasonable idea how much they need based on their current usage, or have the technical contacts to inform them. You'd need to list applications and describe the type of work you do and how you work to get a decent answer.

5. unlokia thread starter macrumors regular

Kingston Europe have just shipped me 32Gb of FBDIMMS.... as long as I do a review on them... and they cost £0. I'll post a photo when they arrive, so the less polite members of the forums don't accuse me of lying! :D

Thanks for your help.

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I hope you can do a review of how different amounts affected your workflow; 8GB, 16GB and 32GB would be nice. There are already a lot of technical reviews and benchmarks out there.

7. unlokia thread starter macrumors regular

YEs - will do!.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'd love to know how you bagged 32GB of RAM in exchange for a "review" of it :confused:

9. unlokia thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sure you would. I cannot give you some "secret formula" - I do good work, and I am not the one to argue with Kingston.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Useful. Thanks.

How are you going to review it? Do you have 32GB kits coming from other companies for free to pit it against?

11. unlokia thread starter macrumors regular

No - Crucial were the only other player and they reported having "limited sample supplies" available... useful :confused:

I'm going to be doing:

1/ Stock (2x1Gb) test
    2/ Tests at following config levels - increments of 8Gb (2x 4Gb sticks)

8...16...24...32Gb

12. Luzzio macrumors regular

Luzzio

i'm not being rude, but it seems funny that they'd ask you to do a review on rams when you can't tell how much ram you need? :confused:

just my two :apple:'s

13. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Maybe that is why they will let him review? As I posted in this thread very few people actually know how much they can really utilize and the reviews out there focus on benchmarks and technical aspects rather than on workflow and how much different applications will use effectively.

14. unlokia thread starter macrumors regular

You have the idea!. :)

OKAY... so the ram arrived! :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22008695@N03/sets/72157607354948182/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]