Most Efficient way to Move Files to new directories

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by liquidsense, Mar 22, 2008.

1. liquidsense macrumors member

I'm a very new user of Mac/OSX. I'm trying to figure out how to effectively "cut and paste" files as one would do in Windows.

For example, I am in a folder:

Eric/Stuff/image.jpg

Let's say I want to move the image.jpg to the Eric folder and delete the Stuff folder. In Windows, I would ctrl-x the image.jpg then navigate back, press ctrl-v, then delete Stuff folder.

How do I do this on OSX? I noticed that I can sometimes click and drag the file into the navigation tree on the left and move it about, but is there a better way? So far, I've only found one better way, which is to open two Finder windows and navigating to the Eric folder in one, and the Stuff folder in the other.

Thanks for any help!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Put finder in column mode, then drag the files back into the Eric folder.

3. sdsviet macrumors regular

i have to say im a big windows explorer user. i moved stuff back and forth and preview stuff all the time. i copy and paste and everything. there's a lot of file transferring back and forth. is there a program out there that mimics windows explorer. like with windows explorer u have the tree on the left and then just the window on the right with watever folder or destination that you are in, and in that window it lets u view it with thumbnails and list and details and stuff like. with finder i cant do that because i cant have the tree and a thumbnails previews window of the folder i look at, and i can still move stuff around while doing that.

4. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

it seems PathFinder does that but it's not free.

5. sdsviet macrumors regular

thanks for the reply, it looks good. ima go try out the demo.