Most epic issue with MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sebseb, Apr 24, 2015.

1. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro 15" with i5. I was searching the web and all of a sudden my computer freezes. I force shut down and when it restart I get weird patterns on screen and won't boot. Goes one third of the bar and then restarts.

Here's the epic part, if I place the laptop upside down, LCD on the desk and the bottom part 90 degrees from the surface and I take out the battery and the back panel from the unibody, it boots perfectly fine and got to use it but If I put the panel back it freezes again.

Any clues??

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

3. sebseb thread starter macrumors 6502

sebseb

That's what I thought, given the 2010 had video issues but why does it work if I place the laptop In a certain way if gpu is dead?

4. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

The widespread GPU failure is with the 2011 models.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Suspect its a connectivity issue, with the machine in that position the connection is made.

----------

Sure but that doesn't stop any other model with a GPU having a GPU issue, his symptoms fit.

6. iMacC2D, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Because the

Shift in position is reseating the GPU and the GPU is probably not dead but the solder that holds it in place has cracked over time (non leaded solder has not held up well since it was introduced. A third party apple technician maybe able to reball your GPU. There are even guides for baking the logic board in an oven yourself and getting them working again if only temporarily.

8. sebseb thread starter macrumors 6502

sebseb

Yeah I think that's my only option left till I can get a new laptop! It's just that I have loads of work due next week. I had a chat session with apple and it seemed like he was about to get me a replacement but later it asked him to charge me. He said call in the morning and give it a shot

9. sebseb thread starter macrumors 6502

sebseb

So after multiple tests, I found out that I I let it cool down completely, it does boot into a thumb drive and those patterns don't appear! But after 20-30 seconds the patterns appear but I can still use the disk utility on recovery and so on. Now if I try to reboot it won't work! I already got arctic silver to reapply! Do you think it could be that?

Also when the Mac is booting, which graphics card does it use, the intel integrated or Nvidia?

Thank you do your replies