Most Essential Accessories for a New rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by plix, Aug 11, 2014.

1. plix macrumors member

I'm planning on buying a rMBP 13' within this week, but I want to make sure I have the essential accessories prior to purchasing as I want this notebook to last around at least 3 years.

But what are essential accessories anyways? From what I know, it includes a:

- sleeve
    - case (that'll protect the exterior, preferably 'invisible' or in other words colourless, and also not heavy)
    -messenger bag

Did I miss anything?

I would also appreciate suggestions regarding the best product(s) available (for a not so ridiculous price) for the above (particularly the case and the sleeve).

2. bmclaurin, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

bmclaurin macrumors member

bmclaurin

IMO, you don't need anything, except a means to carry it around. I'm personally not a fan of MacBook cases, but I might be in the minority there. If you are typically very careful with your laptops, and if you tend to place it in a sleeve and/or padded compartment of a briefcase or backpack for transport, then there really isn't much need for a "case" IMO. Both my wife and I have used them at various points in the past on our respective MBP's, but we both came to our own independent conclusions that we didn't like them. I guess it comes down to how you use your laptop (including the environment to which it will be subjected), and, of course, personal preference.

With the 13", you might eventually want to connect it to an external monitor (again, depending on how you are planning to use your laptop), in which case a wireless keyboard and trackpad/mouse is really nice to have. But if you aren't planning on "docking" it, then honestly you really don't need much of anything in the way of accessories.

My $.02. I'm sure others will have different opinions.

EDIT #1: One thing that I just remembered that I enjoy using with my MBP is a nice, comfortable lap desk for those times when I'm lounging around the house. They tend to help fairly well with ventilation (as the MBP's can get warm), plus it keeps your lap and nether-region from getting sweaty. ;)

EDIT #2: Another device that I use with my MBP is a speedy Thunderbolt hard drive, as I am an avid amateur photographer, and I have tens of thousands of photos that I prefer to keep external to my laptop. I have the LaClie 2big 6TB Thuderbolt/Raid drive, and it is *awesome*.

3. jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

Congrats on getting your rMBP soon. In my humble opinion, you shouldn't be using a hard case (unless you work outside extensively/in a rough environment where damage is likely). It adds to the bulk of the MacBook, and dust can get inside the case leading to scratches to the aluminium. Plus, it just feels really, really nice to use it without a case.

I would recommend a great sleeve though. Check out Brenthaven Collins (the sleeves look very classy). Or, EasyAcc and Inatek make some modern-styled sleeves too (see Amazon). All of these are below ~ $50.

Messenger bag is your choice - do you already have a backpack to carry it in? If not, Kenneth Cole makes some very nice modern-style bags. Timbuk2 also has a very huge following (they design some really nice messenger bags), but is slightly more expensive than other companies (think high $50s and low $100s).

In terms of other accessories, you don't really need anything in general. Perhaps a keyboard cover if you like to eat while using the MacBook? Or a flash drive/external hard drive for non-cloud storage backups etc.? Also, as bmclaurin mentioned, an external display might be great if you need more screen space.

4. ano0oj, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014

ano0oj macrumors 6502

-Sleeves are a good idea, I like to have one when I'm travelling or if I'm carrying my MBP out of my home.

-Not really a fan of a case on my laptop, Apple prides itself in it's form factor and I think cases destroy the aesthetic appeal. Don't keep any cases on my phones, ipads or anything either.

-messenger bag? not sure if this is essential, I just use a backpack when travelling.

5. LxHunter macrumors 6502

Cover with a skin like this, the matte one:
    http://www.bestskinsever.com/macbook-pro-with-13-inch-retina-display-skin

Protective case when carrying in bag like this:
    http://www.acmemade.com/laptop-cases/the-skinny-sleeve-macbook

6. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I only use thin decorative skins( Like DecalGirl.com. Don't judge the name, it's a great place) for Aesthetics and light protection on the outside display area. A good sleeve, and outer skin is all I need. At first I wanted hard cases, but found I don't need it since I'm always careful.

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

External drive or drives for backup. At least two is preferred - one for time machine and one for a clone.

Extra power supply. Keep one in your bag and one left at home.

Protective bag or backpack.

AppleCare

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

My thunderbolt to vga adapter. It gets a lot of use. Not sure if anyone else uses this.

9. leman macrumors 604

Some sort of backup would be essential, yes. Otherwise, you don't need anything. I don't believe in sleeves or other kinds of protective items, but having a padded compartment in the bag is a plus.

10. Nueve macrumors member

I just bought a sleeve case, retina cleaning kit, and the thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter.

11. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Agree with the extra power adapter. Also consider the AppleCare Protection Plan before your 1 yr standard warranty expires.

12. plix, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014

plix thread starter macrumors member

13. Freyqq macrumors 68040

1. some sort of bag/sleeve for carrying it around
    2. if you plan on using it like a desktop, get a usb-power laptop cooling fan. This is a cheap way to reduce temperatures and prevent throttling
    3. external USB 3.0 hard drive for backups/extra storage. Not everything needs the speed of an SSD, like photos or music.

14. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

If you hate trackpads as much as me, get a Magic Mouse.

15. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Or a small wireless mouse. I have one from logitech

16. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

That'll work. I prefer the gestures available on a magic mouse.

17. akhilleus macrumors member

It really depends on what you're main use for it is. If you're very protective or worried about damage, I suppose you can get a case - though I agree with those who said it's really not necessary in most cases.

If it's just casual internetting and computer use, there's not much else you need besides your apps you like to run. Maybe an extra power cable but that's even stretching it.

If you download a lot of content or do a lot of video/audio/photo design, you might want to pick up a mouse or external HD, or even a larger display monitor if you don't plan to hook it to your TV. Bigger screen size is a wonder when editing.

Watching a lot of movies or tv or sports or gaming? Get yourself an HDMI to mini displayport so you can hook the TV up to your HDTV.

It all depends on what you want to do with the computer. That'll dictate your "essential" accessories.

18. LxHunter macrumors 6502

I have the Matte.
    Can't tell it is on the MBA basically invisible.
    And it gives a better grip.
    No does not cover screen.
    I got the set that covers top, bottom, palm rest, track pad and around the side/edges.
    Saved my MBA from a ding last week - walking into a meeting and tapped it against steel door frame. No damage to the skin or MBA

I removed the trackpad skin - reduced sensitivity just a bit.

19. mominsky macrumors newbie

I bought a magic mouse after 2 weeks or so with my old wireless mouse/keyboard combo - i love the magic mouse. I know a lot of people don't like them, and the gestures can be irritating when you accidentally do things you don't intend, but so far so good. that being said, i haven't used it for a whole day of work yet, as i have gone into the office every day this week (haven't worked remotely using citrix on my rMBP).

I have to say, i hated spending $70 on a mouse, but sadly, this now has me wanting the wireless keyboard next...cause now my Microsoft mouse/keyboard combo just using the keyboard, looks less "cool", and i hate using the little dongle :)

20. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

Go on ahead and get you that iPearl frost case. It's not really frost, it doesn't look like anything is on the MBPr.

It's got legs, great for typing on a desk. Worth the mula.

21. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

You'll definitely want to buy external storage just in case.

22. meson macrumors regular

With a rMBP, I would need a thunderbolt to vga adapter, thunderbolt to dvi adapter, thunderbolt to FW800 adapter, and usb or thunderbolt to ethernet adapter.

Do not put a hard cover on your rMBP. There is no need.

In regard to carrying my laptops, I use a Timbuk2 messenger bag that my wife got me almost 10 years ago. With a little cleaning, it would look as good as the day I got it. I am very impressed with the bag, though I thought she was nuts for what she paid for it at the time. In retrospect, it is worth every penny.

For a sleeve, I use a Timbuk2 sleeve I got in 2008 when I bought my first 13" Macbook. I stumbled across it in a Marshall's for less than half of retail. Though I wish the dimensions of the sleeve were a little closer to the dimensions of the MBP, it has been great.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you'll find very quickly what you need when using the the computer. My most essential accessories doesn't make them your most essential accessories.

Use it, enjoy it :)

24. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

Completely agree - aside from one thing, which is backup. If you store anything important on it, get a backup. Say for photos, they may only be iPhone snaps, but if they get deleted, they're gone. Even if it's just an external hard drive, or a couple of flash drives, get something and back up what's important to you.

Enjoy your new machine!

25. plix thread starter macrumors member

But, with my original MBP, it had its fare share of scratches and dents. I don't know, I'm a bit careless but either way I would hate carrying a machine to school and to elsewhere and always having to be super careful so thats why Im thinking the hardcase will solve the issue.

----------

hey so you got the 'Full Body Coverage' one? Just confirming...

----------

Hey, if it doesnt cover the screen then why are they (in the link) talk about how Matte Film 'reduces the sharpness' of the screen? It says that under "About Our Screen Matte Film".