Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finnm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
okay, i wanted to know a list of expensive apps for mac!
this is my list so far:

Maya
all adobe products
finalcut studio

any1 else?

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Protools HD.
While it only costs about $300 or so for the actual software, you can't run it with out the $8000 HD card and $1000 converter.
(prices may vary, see your local retailer for details)

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
I know of a number of applications that get into the thousands in cost for multi-licenses for businesses, schools, and organizations.
I guess I shouldn't mention the price of having something custom written.:rolleyes:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
this is my list so far:

Maya
all adobe products
finalcut studio

any1 else?

What's the point? If you're going to make lots of money, those apps are cheap.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
^True.

Regular consumers would balk at dropping 2 grand on a laptop and spending another 3.2k in software, but my macbook pro and CS4 master collection (for instance) have paid dividends from their initial investment, especially if you
A) are good at what you do
B) Charge by the hour

JWest

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Up until recently I believe Apple's very own Shake cost about $3,500 for the mac version and somewhere in the neighborhood of $5,000 for the linux version (Can't remember, it was a while ago). Now adays it's about $500. Supposedly they're working on a successor.

Also, Adobe's CS4 suite costs $2,500 for the whole kit n' kaboodle.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Apple's WebObjects

Apple's WebObjects used to cost $50,000 for a full site deployment license in 2000. Now there is no license key requirement and the software comes free with every Mac and copy of 10.5

andrewdale

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Memphis, TN
Protools HD.
While it only costs about $300 or so for the actual software, you can't run it with out the $8000 HD card and $1000 converter.
(prices may vary, see your local retailer for details)

Yup. ProTools HD is very costly. I'm very sad that after the school year is up, I won't be getting free access to our studio with three 192's in it. :(

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
this is my list so far:

Maya
all adobe products
finalcut studio

any1 else?

For a casual user, they're expensive. But for a pro, those applications are relatively inexpensive investments. FCS2 and Adobe CS3 have already paid for themselves many times over in my case.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005. That cost me a couple hundred dollars, but I've made much, much more off of it. I also used this through Parallels, $80.

Edit: Why is this in the Macbook Pro, Powerbook forum. Shouldn't it be in the Mac Applications or Community Discussion thread?

finnm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
hmmm... adobe shake isnt supported anymore by adobe..... Are there any similar producers to adobe, and what are some easy and good game design software?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Not just apps, take a look at the price of professional fonts sometime to go with your QuarkXpress.

Random app: Wordfinder. If you activate all the dictionaries that come on the installation disk, then you are looking at several thousands of Euros.

http://www.wordfinder.se

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
What's the point? If you're going to make lots of money, those apps are cheap.

Erm... I agree this thread is pointless, but I don't see where the "if you're going to make lots of money" part comes in to help it make more sense (or be less pointless). I don't think everyone makes a lot of money... do they?

^True.

Regular consumers would balk at dropping 2 grand on a laptop and spending another 3.2k in software, but my macbook pro and CS4 master collection (for instance) have paid dividends from their initial investment, especially if you
A) are good at what you do
B) Charge by the hour

Lol, your MBP/CS4 MC pay you dividends? How much per quarter?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Erm... I agree this thread is pointless, but I don't see where the "if you're going to make lots of money" part comes in to help it make more sense (or be less pointless). I don't think everyone makes a lot of money... do they?

Yeah, well by challenging the application based on price alone is simply a waste of web space. Of course I'm only helping out with that…

finnm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
What is this MOE that costs 10000? also, if you say these apps dont cost much, give me some examples!

finnm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
this isnt pointless, i rlly need to know. what is moe and is there any more paplications over 1k?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.