Most Expensive iPad 2 Sold - Shocking

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xfs, Mar 20, 2011.

1. xfs macrumors member

So I was just checking eBay to possibly find a good deal for an iPad 2 3G Black. And look what I found. The most expensive iPad sold on eBay, for a whopping $199,999.99. Is that even legal? The description reads:

I am not going to judge the person who bought it after reading this description.

Source: eBay

Attached Files:

2. seanpholman macrumors regular

3. exileskimer macrumors member

Don't be an idiot.

Buyer was trolling and won't pay

4. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Come on, not real.

You really think the buyer paid?

5. Meanee macrumors 6502a

It's all legit. You are free to sell it for 1 million, if anyone is stupid enough to buy it. With eBay, they really can't force you to pay. They place an Unpaid Item Strike on your account and will close your account once you reach 3 of them. Active buyers may have more.

So in a nutshell, you can create an eBay account with fake info, buy this out and never pay.

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    wow, now I feel crazy for selling mine for $620. ;)

7. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

No way it was a real sale. Not even a rich idiot would spend that much.

8. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Well, people DID buy the "I am filthy rich" app, or whatever it's called.

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You mean 12 year olds who have no idea about the value of money?

10. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I don't know. For a Saudi sheik worth 10 billion, 200k is small change if he wants something badly right now.

11. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Wish when I was 12 year old I had access to an account I can spend a grand on.

12. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

eBay sucks for this exact reason. People press buy it now and don't pay then eBay expects you to pay to post it again and the process repeats.

13. Meanee macrumors 6502a

If seller files Unpaid Item case and wins (guaranteed, if no payment is made), relisting is free.

14. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Still a hassle that you don't have to deal with when using Craigslist.

15. keigo macrumors regular

maybe the seller gold plated the back of the ipad2... hahaha

16. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Yes, totally agree. To open and win the case, you need 14 days, roughly.

CL is definitely better way of selling locally. But no exposure outside of your posted area.

17. gtmac macrumors 6502a

This is the only proper response.

18. d Fusion b macrumors member

d Fusion b

Big deal if he did lol.. It would only add $250 at MOST.

19. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

OK PERSONNE SERIEUSE Member id buelinckx123 ( Feedback Score Of 77) Mar-14-11 10:55
    Feedback was revised on Mar-15-11 12:54
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi Black (16 GB) w/Blk Leather Smartcover NIB (#200585887282) US $199,999.99 View Item

this was the feedback on the item

20. Meanee macrumors 6502a

It could be someone "Buying" it just to give the seller a bad feedback, call them an idiot, whatever. But according to eBay rules, unless you pay, you cannot leave negative feedback. So eBay could've simply taken action against buyer.

21. keigo macrumors regular

or maybe the seller throw in a back cover that is glue with many 1 cartat diamond....

22. disarticulate macrumors regular

This is classic market manipulation by resellers posing as buyers. They create bogus eBay accounts and bid extraordinarily high amounts on iPad 2s with no intention of ever paying. They may even use a bogus account to list an iPad, and bid on their own item with a different account.

It drives the perceived market value higher, so that their own auction-style listing will sell for more. It's borderline fraud if you ask me. eBay turns a blind eye because it boosts their commission fees.

Protect yourself by only buying from an auction-style listing. Click on the "bids" link to evaluate who has been bidding on the item. If there are only a couple bidders, each of whom have 0 feedback, you are likely looking at an auction that is being used to drive the market value higher. Also make sure the item your bidding on has an actual photo of the iPad and that photo has the listers name in it to prove that they own that photo and didn't just copy it from another listing.

Want to counteract the fraudulent market manipulation? There are two things you can do. 1) Complain to eBay. 2) Do the opposite and create false listings for iPad 2s with buy-it-now prices closer to the MSRP (well below current market value).

23. mayhone1 macrumors regular

No one paid that. Someone probally just got sick olf the bull **** and offer it to the guy and than never paid, it happens alot.

24. disarticulate macrumors regular

I don't particularly condone reselling iPad 2s on eBay right now, but if you need money that badly, here's how to protect your listing from non-paying bidders.

When listing your item, you can choose "bidder restrictions". Check the box that says "Only allows bids from accounts linked to PayPal." This will do a pretty good job of keeping the non-paying bidders away.

25. TW!SM macrumors regular

And you can also require immediate payment via paypal so the auction won't end until payment is made.