Most Frivolous Requests

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Small White Car, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, I'm sick of talking about what the next iPhone "needs to succeed."

I wanna talk about stupid things that you want but probably nobody else does. For example:

I want to be able to double-tap 'airplane mode' in my phone's preferences and have it change to 'subway mode' (changing both the name and the icon).

I'm sure there are many people who rarely fly and yet use airplane mode twice a day every time they ride that underground train to and from work. These people would love this feature! I wouldn't want this to have its own setting switch, but give us this as an invisible option that most people will never see unless they asked someone about it.

So how about you? What frivolous requests do you have?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why do you put your phone on "subway" mode when you go into the tunnels.

I just leave my phone on, it will connect to the network once it can, and the hit to the battery isn't really that much

3. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The iPhone 5 camera should be digital night vision capable.

Cause you know, sometimes you need to take pictures in the dark. ;)

Now where's my batman costume?

4. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't actually commute on the subway any more so I don't have much direct experience with this these days but...I used to only get 1 bar at work. Now I get 4 bars. The difference in battery life I got from that change was very noticable.

So even just clinging to 1 bar gave me a huge hit on my battery compared to being in a good signal area. I can only imagine that searching with 0 bars is just as bad, if not worse.

Because of that, I always turn on Airplane Mode when I do end up on the subway these days.

5. h1r0ll3r, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Yes, I second this request and would like to add a telescopic lens as well.

On a totally separate and completely unrelated note, I'd also like for the next iPhone to be able to disable home alarm systems as well as include a built in police scanner....just in case :p

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

A red dot laser pointer - for when you want added authenticity to those augmented reality sniper apps...

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I switched from the 16th St bus commute to taking the metro to King St (Yeah, let me tell you all about how happy that makes me) but have never really seen a need to do this. I listen to music there and back on the metro (~ an hour each way), while at the office with email being pushed every 15 min, brightness on full with WiFi and usually have around 70% left by the time I get home.

I just want the ability to search the entire email message in the Mail app. I know, crazy, but I am frivolous like that.

8. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

She has a restraining order on you for a reason. The iPhone doesn't have a telephoto lens, so you'd have to be within the RO boundaries, even in the dark.....

LMAO.....

9. JASApplications macrumors 65816

You switch the vibrate toggle 3 times and a grapple comes out (like James Bond!) :D

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I really think the next iPhone needs to incorporate all of the features of the Pomegranate phone

11. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Airplane mode exists because you aren't allowed to use cellular voice/data while on an airplane. Subway mode... lol. Your phone will just reconnect once you're out of a tunnel.

12. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I'd like to request that my phone has to look like Johnny Depp.

13. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

Eh...you see a lot of other uses for Airplane Mode on this board:

* I want to be on wifi while traveling but be certain I'm not using my roaming 3G data

* I want to get e-mail at night while I sleep but not have phone calls or text messages wake me.

* I'm working near audio recording gear that sometimes picks up buzz when my phone switches to EDGE.

All of those people would be told to use Airplane Mode even though they're not flying anywhere. I just kind of think we should be able to re-name it.

Like I said, not a whole other setting panel for this...just let us double-tap or touch-and-hold it to edit it somehow.

Best answer of the thread so far.

14. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I want the option to turn off the 3g radio when locked, but have exceptions if a radio or other streaming app is on in the setting.s

15. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I'd like it to send all my calls to voicemail if it's docked in my car AND it detects I'm driving faster than 5 mph.

I'd also like it to blurt "Hey! Don't forget your phone, dummy!", when I get out of my car and forget to take it. If it could blow the horn and flash the headlights too that would be just dandy!

(you did say frivolous.)

16. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'll give you a pass, but these are almost too useful to be called frivolous.

17. cheeseblock macrumors member

How bout an FM radio like the one in the nano with pause and stuff.
    I know it's a stretch...

18. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Everyone knows it's wise to put it into subway mode to prevent the phone from interfering with the guidance system and causing the subway to crash and burn in a swamp. Oh, wait...

19. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Agreed, but even that is missing a hairdrier.

20. yourmother macrumors regular

when I go to safari the webpage doesn't automatically refresh

21. utneon macrumors regular

i LOOLLLEEDDDD at the subway mode. most useless setting i've ever heard.

hardware feature: a mechanic lens with analogic zoom of 2 or 3x that comes out of the phone.

call function: hologram call like in star wars.