Most important things to do with a new macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by luckystriked, Oct 11, 2008.

1. luckystriked macrumors regular

If everything goes as I'm planning I'll get a new macbook next week. I need some advice (it's my first mac).. what are the most important things to do after turning it on?

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

3. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I think this could be a very good thread, if people would take it seriously. I know, if the prices are right next week, there is a good chance I'll be a new Mac user myself. I come from the PC world and know very little about Macs. Is there any must have software that I need that doesn't come with the basic Mac? How hard will it be to move my iTunes files from my PC to the Mac? What will I loose? All my music and video files are stored on an external hard disk. Can I just plug it into the Mac? Can I move my Safari bookmarks off my PC to the Mac?

4. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Agreed with that, thats one of the most read about problems I see in here.

Everything is really easy to move, if your on a network, just share the folders and it all comes with no problems. Then the real joy comes when you upgrade to an even newer mac, and you just plug them together and they move everything automatically including applications, playlists, bookmarks and even your wallpaper.

5. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

all of these questions are answered when you turn the computer on.( apple is awesome like that.) and if they arent answered there are several threads already on "what i should do to keep my mac running great"

6. glitch44 macrumors 65816

i suspect they will be available for preorder next week, not available in store.

7. Nick D macrumors member

Nick D

8. n0de macrumors 6502

To the OP - unlike PC's you don't have to immediately clean up a new system from crapware.

Most likely your new machine will have trialware versions of both iWork and MSOffice, just drag them to the garbage can if you don't want them.

Your new sparkly Mac will be in pristine condition, no need to rush to install AV before connecting to the internet.

When you boot it you will be guided through creating a new user by default. Once in check for updates. Do not begin copying your files over from your PC yet!!! You are going to want to play with your new toy for a bit.

Being a student you will need some version of office/WP/SP/etc - I suggest trying OpenOffice (.org) before shelling out any $$.

That's it. When you need to find replacement software for your old PC apps, shareware on the Mac is the way to go. I never paid for shareware for my PC, but have gladly paid for every shareware app on my Mac. Browse to MacUpdate dot com to find the right app for your needs.

If you leave your mac on overnight on a regular basis there will be no need for maintenance as the maint jobs will run on their own.

If you do feel it is getting sluggish download Onyx, but ask for help from here before you use it as you could damage your OS.

Once you are done playing with your new baby for the first day, copy the files over from your PC - do not do this until you are ready to leave the machine alone for ~8 hours, so do it just before you are going out for the night or going to bed. The reason is because Spotlight is going to begin indexing the files and it is far less painful if you let it do it in one shot.

Enjoy!!:D

9. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Good advice - I just downloaded it myself (although I have MS Office already) because my wife's work use it in her new job and I thought I'd give it a try. Not bad stuff I must say and only 136MB for all apps.

VLC and firefox of course.

10. azdmelani macrumors member

:DThanks so much for posting this! I plan on getting a new macbook once they come out (unless the deals on the old ones are too good to pass up). These tips are very helpful!

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Enjoy it!

What are you talking about? They don't include trials!

12. logana macrumors 65816

logana

MacBooks do - usually iWork and Office as mentioned !

Don't think MBP's do though....

13. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

my sister just got her macbook about a couple weeks ago...and there werent any trialware for either of those...

14. osin macrumors 6502

I would suggest to run a software update (for OSX) and then setup Time Machine to backup your hard drive.

There was similar post couple days ago on Mac Pro forum, you can look it up.
    I will try to post the link later on...

15. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

IIRC they stopped doing this around last revision (February 2008).

16. logana macrumors 65816

logana

So no remote and no trials either !!!

17. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

yeah but as far as the trial software go, you can just dl them and its the exact same thing...not really a big deal

now for the remote...it would be nice to include it again with the notebooks

18. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Cmd-Q at registration dialog

Hit cmd-q at the time the installation dialog is asking you about your personal information such as Email and Telephone number.

Most people don't know that this dialog can be safely aborted and Apple has 'forgotten' to tell you so...

19. marvel2 macrumors 6502

Wow, never knew that. I will have to try that the next time I get a new mac.

20. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Actually, my October 2007 MacBook 2.2 Ghz didn't have any trialware on it either.

PS- Someone above said to train your battery. This is definitely one of the best things you can do. I'm at 295 charge cycles with 100% battery health.

21. svndmvn Guest

it's all probably aluminum, plastic, glass

Don't. Drop. It.

22. StevnJ9971 macrumors member

I'm not a Mac owner yet, so I don't know...but why wouldn't you want to put in all your information?

23. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Or maybe it was February 2007... :D I remember it was February, perhaps I've mistakenly connected it with the last revision.

24. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

^^
    If you're some sort of privacy nut and you believe that Steve is the antichrist an is planning on using your address for his dastardly deeds.

Or, you're reinstalling Mac OS X and don't want to have to reenter all that info.

25. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Protection!

Before you turn it on, before you open the box, buy a good bag/case for it! You wouldn't put your new baby in a piece-o-crap car seat, don't put your new Mac in a piece-o-crap computer bag.

There are many threads here with massive input on bags.